Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-04-2012 , 12:08 PM

noisy area lights

I'm having trouble with the area lights in a scene causing noise -- it's still in the early stages but all the other lights/shadows are pretty smooth. even cranking up samples, photons, radius', final gather's on etc.
I'm upping every parameter I can think of and all's that's happening is the render time is increasing...

I'm not too fussed about the weird shapes and angles that're created here; until I sort this noise out there's no point in continuing.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-04-2012 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
Is it Vray or Mr?
I think its samlping problem. In vray i would turn up the sampling subdivs on the light & the adaptive DMC threshold too on the Vray Tab

# 3 04-04-2012 , 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Try increasing the high samples on the area light under the Mr section.

- Genny
# 4 05-04-2012 , 11:55 AM
It's MR. I've had a quick go but upping the samples I think you mean don't look to have done anything... no improvement anyway.

I understand area lights had to created differently for mr in earlier versions of maya... is this still the case?

here's a few shots of some of the settings I have...

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 05-04-2012 , 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
If you can post the scene or email it to me, I'll take a look. Better than taking shots in the dark.

- Genny
# 6 05-04-2012 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
Playing with photons ? Painful part of lighting. Try to avoid it user added image

# 7 05-04-2012 , 07:33 PM
Technical Director
Holy crap! Accuracy of 1000?!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 06-04-2012 , 06:04 AM
1) maybe try these values for the lightShape: 40/1/8. using a high sample limit of more than 1 or 2 most often makes no sense in my opinion in terms of quality/performance. but make sure to up the low samples to at least 4 or more.

2) you didn´t turn on FG. all the samples are kind of "RAW" in this rendering, means there happens no interpolation through final gathering. unless you crank up photons/areaLight samples to ridiculous high values you won´t get smooth results. for testing try FG settings: Accuracy 50 and point density 0,1.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 9 06-04-2012 , 09:38 AM
thanks for all the advice - I'm trying it now. I get myself into a robble with these things because it doesn't seem to be any intuitive logic behind any of these settings. I don't really understand why I'm altering any of them; I'm just doing so because my uni tutor did similar. =\

If you can post the scene or email it to me, I'll take a look. Better than taking shots in the dark.

I'd have to email the file to you GecT, the size limit on the forum is way too low. It would be helpful though user added image Thanks