Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 91 08-03-2006 , 07:13 PM
Superb Dilllberts!!

# 92 09-03-2006 , 12:41 AM
Disaster has struck my system (an HP laptop)! A fatal error with the graphics gard has rendered it completely inoperable. Basically the entire motherboard has to be switched out, which I'm not going to do as I don't think it's worth the money. I'm using this as an excuse to buy a new workstation, maybe a Boxx or something, so I won't be able to update this project for some time as my current desktop is useless for Maya. Anyway, life goes on user added image

# 93 09-03-2006 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
sux balls.
user added image
-----

boxx too expensiveuser added image

# 94 09-03-2006 , 08:46 AM
s**t, thats not good man.

New PC!! Cool, goin laptop or desktop?

# 95 10-03-2006 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
damn it :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 96 10-03-2006 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
My motherboard went to pot, thankfully Asus sorted it out fairly quickly but it was still worrying.

Still new pc :attn:

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 97 11-03-2006 , 06:00 AM
Starting construction on the new PC tomorrow. I'm going with an AMD 64 X2 4800+ dual-core processor, and a Nvidia Quadro FX 3450. Starting out with 2 gigs of RAM, but I'll probably up that to 4 pretty soon. Should reduce my render times considerably :attn:

# 98 11-03-2006 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
I got a dual motherboard and two processes.

Sweat as mate.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 99 15-04-2006 , 06:12 PM
I'm gonna pick back up with this project once I've finished rendering out the segway robot (I'm at about frame 200). I forgot I had posted a paint shader network on this thread, which might help some other people. Stay tuned..

# 100 15-04-2006 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
I wish i already could do this :headbang: :bow:

# 101 17-04-2006 , 06:54 AM
Built a new paint shader. I'm almost reasy to get back started with this project.

Attached Thumbnails
# 102 17-04-2006 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
Hey Dilbert

Great work once again. To answer an earlier question of yours, I believe Rhino is pretty good and is the tool of choice for a lot of ppl over at www.cg-cars.com. Some of the work here is jaw dropping.

I'd be interested to see your shader network for the paint. One of the neater tricks I've seen is to set the base colour with a ramp shader that uses facing angle to go between a dark shade to a light shade with specular set to black. You then layer this under a blinn that's fully transparent and control the specular and reflectivity there. The bit I like is to push the facing ratio of a sampler node through a reverse node and then into the reflectivity of the blinn. This gives you a mirror like finish at shallow angles and glossy colour square on. A reasonable mimic of the real thing.

I'm with you on not using subd's. The Enzo I've been working on is subd to poly but the resulting mesh is non-uniform and not as sharp as I'd like. It looks OK for a first go however. Might try another car another way next.

# 103 17-04-2006 , 08:44 AM
I'll look into your idea for a network. Sounds very similar to mine, except I've never tried a reverse node...sounds interesting.

Here's another render. I made the rims a carbon black color, and messed with the ramps a little more. Still doesn't look quite right, but I think that's partly due to the model not being finished. Once I add the lights and interior, and all the other bits, I think it'll flow a little better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 104 17-04-2006 , 08:50 AM
MrR, forgot about your Rhino suggestion. I've looked into Rhino, and it's a nice package, but Studio Tools is sooooo nice. I've been working with the personal learning edition, and that package freaking rocks!!! The degree of accuracy you can get on the surface continuity is just amazing! Unfortunately, it costs $25,000 for a node-locked unit, so it's out of my price range right now. I have the evaluation edition of Rhino, and it is a good compromise, but when you compare the two, there's just no comparison. But then again, for $900 Rhino is very appealing....

# 105 18-04-2006 , 12:07 PM
Subscriber

really cool car

That car looks awesome. i myself am very interested in building cars but i have only been using maya for a couple of months, done the ferrari car tutorial, do you think it is any good cause it is in subD and it is no way near the quality of the car you are makinguser added image

a question about the clay look you get for your car in the early parts, how do you get it? it looks so professional.

well keep up the good work, looks great so far:attn: