Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-03-2007 , 05:48 PM
The Maya Mountain

March/April - PART ONE - Modeling

So, for the month of MARCH!

Steampunk Modeling!

The goal is to create a model! Ok, I'll give a little more info. It doesn't have to be a character, creature, vehicle, or robot, but that would be preferred. It doesn't have to be low poly (as in, for games) but that also would be preferred. When I say "preferred" I mean, my *personal* preference. It won't affect how the challenge is judged.

Here's the theme:

Steampunk "In Her Majesty's Secret Service"

Yes, steampunk! One of my favorite genres! A mixture of fantasy and sci-fi! Create a character, creature, robot, machine, vehicle, anything and use the theme as an inspiration. The phrase in quotes doesn't have to be used in your design, but it's there for those who might like to have some kind of direction.

The guidelines:

1) This is a Modeling challenge but you can texture it if you have time to better present your piece!

2) MUST be polygons! No ands, ifs, or buts!

3) The first deadline is April 15th. Yes, it's a month, but we're not looking necessarily at the first of the month as the deadline since we're starting kinda late. A SEMI-FINAL entries thread will be created toward the end of this part of the challenge. user added image

4) All work must be done by the artist submitting. One entry per person, although you can work on as many as you want.

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

Prize to be determined.

EDIT
Due to popular opinion, this challenge will now no longer have a part two next month and instead will simply end on the deadline at April 15th. Thanks for those who helped provide input.

# 2 12-03-2007 , 05:50 PM
The Maya Mountain
I will say that the fewer people who participate and finish, the less fun the second part of the challenge will be, so I hope everyone who can participate AND finish, does so! user added image

# 3 12-03-2007 , 06:05 PM
19 year Veteran
Wow, Steampunk huh, I don't remember that being in "In Her Majesty's Secret Service". You are reffering to the 1969 james bond movie arent you? Also can you give a little more background around that genere?

Anyway, I'm glad you picked this theme. It's fits in perfectly with my fantasy theme request! user added image

# 4 12-03-2007 , 06:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
it's just a phrase. It doesn't have to refer to James Bond. And like was mentioned, it doesn't have to be even hinted at in your entry. Just there for people to use as inspiration if they see fit.

Steampunk is kind of a victorian scientific revolution. Think of it as if the computer, tv, robots, etc all were invented in the 1700s. It's called "steam"punk because steam is usually depicted as the common power source.

It doesn't have to be Victorian, 1700s though. Can be more fantasty, can be more sci-fi. I'm sure if you do a search for reference, you'll find plenty on the subject.

If this is too confusing, we can just do straight up fantasy.

# 5 12-03-2007 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
Ohh, I like this idea. Is it like the guy of Hellboy, who uses a clock to control him? Cause i recon somthing like that'd be cool.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 6 12-03-2007 , 07:13 PM
19 year Veteran

Originally posted by mtmckinley:
It's just a phrase. It doesn't have to refer to James Bond. And like was mentioned, it doesn't have to be even hinted at in your entry. Just there for people to use as inspiration if they see fit.

Steampunk is kind of a victorian scientific revolution. Think of it as if the computer, tv, robots, etc all were invented in the 1700s. It's called "steam"punk because steam is usually depicted as the common power source.

It doesn't have to be Victorian, 1700s though. Can be more fantasty, can be more sci-fi. I'm sure if you do a search for reference, you'll find plenty on the subject.

If this is too confusing, we can just do straight up fantasy.

Nah, not confusing at all. I did a google search prior to this post and learned a little bit more about it. Disneys animated feature "Search Atlantis" is steampunk. Back to the future 3 is a steampunk. Around the world in 80 days is a Steampunk. I get where your comming from.

I have a great idea for an entry aswell.

Last edited by THX1138; 12-03-2007 at 07:18 PM.
# 7 12-03-2007 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
how can you miss out will smiths "wild wild west" thats steampunk as well

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i know what it was because i watch/read alot of manga and they love that stuff in there.

Already got 5/6 ideas so i`m in

# 8 12-03-2007 , 09:50 PM
19 year Veteran
LOL, don't get too cocky there tweet. WWW did come to mind, it's just that I cant stand Jon Peters, that retard executive producer of WWW, and the movie sucked ass at that. You would have to be a moron to have liked that POS movie. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jon Peters got his giant spider in a movie no matter what it took.

# 9 12-03-2007 , 09:56 PM
i'm in user added image
I love steampunk user added image
I'm Max user, but that's ok right?

# 10 12-03-2007 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by THX1138
LOL, don't get too cocky there tweet. WWW did come to mind, it's just that I cant stand Jon Peters, that retard executive producer of WWW, and the movie sucked ass at that. You would have to be a moron to have liked that POS movie. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Jon Peters got his giant spider in a movie no matter what it took.

arr a fellow "evening with kevin smith" fan - arr what a great story that was. At least it never made it into superman

# 11 12-03-2007 , 10:14 PM
19 year Veteran
Not only am I glad it wasn't in superman, I'm glad that Jon Peters was dropped from Superman.

Kevin Smith is a great Writer/Director. I have enjoyed all of his work.

Anyway, hope to see what you ideas you have come up with for this challenge.user added image

# 12 12-03-2007 , 11:09 PM
Nice Idea Mike!

When I was a kid I loved "The Chaos Engine" game by the Bitmap Brothers, that was very much steam punk.

Need to gather some ideas for this one!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 12-03-2007 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
I'll give it a crack, I really like the theme.

I think I'll do a character... I'll try and do some thumbnail sketching over the next couple of days and see what i come up with. Have fun all.

# 14 13-03-2007 , 12:21 AM
Oh nice, I will try to participate if I get the time. user added image

# 15 13-03-2007 , 01:06 AM
Senior Software Developer
I'm in... anything for a larf user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)