Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-04-2008 , 04:18 PM

sizes

hy. I need a little help. I was trying to make a 3d model of my room and I realized I cant work with the width length and height. I was trying to do the room I have attached here.
I have all the sizes I just need to know how to and where to enter them correctly. Please help. Thanks a lot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-04-2008 , 04:55 PM
You can enter dimensions when you first create your objects. When you create a primitive, just click on the little box next to the menu item and a dialog box will pop up allowing you to specify the height, width, and length, etc. For example, I can enter 12 units for height and my box will be 12 units for height. It's up to me what 12 units is, whether I pretend they are inches, feet, meters, or whatever.

You can also go into preferences to actually define what the units are (inches, feet, etc.)

Edit: You can also create a box or plane a certain size to use as a reference when editing another item like the short wall. I'll post a pic to explain better.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 19-04-2008 at 04:59 PM.
# 3 19-04-2008 , 05:00 PM
thanks a lot ! I did that. now I need to make the the cube like in the picture. at that angle. I have all dimensions. how do I do it ?

# 4 19-04-2008 , 05:09 PM
Here I simply created a cube that was 120 units (inches) by 120 units. then I created a plane 48 units long and placed at the top then I created a plane 48 units high and placed at the right. I used those as guides to adjust my 10'x10' room.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 22-04-2008 , 05:01 PM
isnt there a more mathematical way ? like using the script editor to do it exactly. I need at some point to move it exactly 1.52412 units.... please. thanks.

# 6 23-04-2008 , 05:51 AM
Nurbs curves or polys?

If its polys then open the script editor and type

polyCreateFacet -ch on -tx 1 -s 1
-p X Y Z
-p X Y Z
-p X Y Z
;

Where the -p are the positions of the verts and the X Y Z are the positions of the verts in the relative axies.

Nurbs curves, open the script editor and type

curve -d 1
-p X Y Z
-p X Y Z
-p X Y Z
;

Again P = CV's, XYZ axies positions, this gives a liniar curve (sharp edges), if you want to change this change the degree of the curve (the value after the -d flag)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle