Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-06-2010 , 01:49 AM

Need help making a Doctor Who title sequence

Hello all user added image

I've been using Maya for nearly two years, I know how to model, texture animate fairly well but would like to know more about using effects. I've modelled, textured and animated a Tardis and originally created a 2D Time Vortex in Adobe After Effects. However, it's pretty much impossible for me to achieve a good 3D one as seen in the real introductions.

Does anyone know how I would create the awesome time vortex in the intro videos? Even better are there any tutorials that can help me learn to do it?

Thanks

James.

# 2 22-06-2010 , 01:04 PM
Lifetime Member
Try some Gnomon dude, they have some of that stuff, I saw today on the net. I dont know if there are any in here??? Any other members seen this type of tut in SM??

cheers bullet

Edit: there a a few effects tuts in the index mate, check the archive as well

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 22-06-2010 , 05:55 PM
The thin red line
I seen cone shapes used to make tornados just turn it on its side and look inside, look for tutorials for tornados............dave

# 4 22-06-2010 , 07:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I heard something about creating the path of the vortex out of a cylinder, then applying the effects onto that. I will check Gnomon though and I'll also check out stuff about Tornados, thanks!

# 5 22-06-2010 , 08:32 PM
Not seen the new title sequence, but going off the David Tennant one you could extrude a pipe down a curve and then add some animated layered textures with various incandesance propertied to it, along with transparancies and lights that would proabably be a good starting point.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle