Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-04-2011 , 04:26 PM

boolean: difference

hey im working on a tutorial and ive stumbled upon another problem that i cant seem to quite fix.

im creating an aeroplane, ive made polygon cylinders for the windows and ive combined them all.
i used the boolean difference tool to subtract the difference from the plane and the tubes to create my windows. However the problem is the difference didnt seem to work completely...??? out of lets say 40 of the windows only 20 actually appeared

https://img16.imageshack.us/i/22352224.png/

ive uploaded the image to give you guys an idea of what happened.

# 2 11-04-2011 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber
I tried to remake your problem. For me Boolean working with 1-2-3-10 merged cylinder. But not with 20.... I hate this boolean salution. Try to redo the missings, one by one
I would switch on the wireframe for modeling. It helps a lot
Shading / wireframe on shaded

# 3 11-04-2011 , 06:07 PM
The thin red line
Have you combined all the cylinders first? also have a edge going through the middle of them (I think bullet pointed that one out)............dave

# 4 11-04-2011 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Like this. but you wont end up with 4sided faces so you ve to work with the drilled windows a bit more.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-04-2011 , 07:11 PM
The thin red line
You always have to do a clean up after using booleans, I would use cylinders with 8 sides less cleaning thats taking into account that you will smooth the mesh...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 11-04-2011 at 07:15 PM.
# 6 12-04-2011 , 01:53 AM
i dont quite understand what you mean by 'have an edge going through the middle?'
ive tried the 1,2,3,10 method which didnt seem to work user added image i even tried doing it 1 by 1. there seems to be a button or function that seems to be affecting my boolean:difference user added image

# 7 12-04-2011 , 06:30 AM

i dont quite understand what you mean by 'have an edge going through the middle?'
(

Basically, you don't want to cut out a hole in the center of a face. You want the hole to be touching an edge. For example, if you wanted to use boolean difference to cut out a hole in the center of a face, you need to put an edge going through the center of the face first. That way, after you cut out the hole, the hole is connected to the rest of the geometry with an edge (it's not a floating hole, which will cause major problems with the geo).

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 12-04-2011 , 11:18 AM
i figured it out, the reason why some of the windows were not working was because when i was duplicating my windows i accidentally duplicated a double of some of the cylinders for my windows which turned out to effect the difference user added image