Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-11-2011 , 09:01 AM
Lifetime Member

Objects intersect after placement

Ok, this has only happened once or twice and I usually manually move the objects I have placed. I have multiple objects...active rigids, made a glass as passive rigid. Connected a gravity field to the active objects and hit play, when they rest some of them are intersecting with the glass object....any ideas. I would have thought it works without hitch....alas Maya loves me...not.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 23-11-2011 , 09:29 AM
The thin red line
Have you tried add divions to the mesh................dave

# 3 23-11-2011 , 10:04 AM
Lifetime Member
Im using the same divisions as in the tutorial dave.....and the tut doesnt seem to have the same problem....which is wierd. I guess I could make a copy and divide it then move the selection to the original...it doesnt need high poly.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 23-11-2011 , 10:55 AM
SM Tea Boy
Bullet mate what version of Maya are your using? I think I know the tutorial your doing and there is a better way of doing it, if you have Maya 2009 or higher I'll record you a small addendum tutorial this afternoon.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 23-11-2011 , 12:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks David....I bloody found the problem though...after Googling it...I forgot to bloody reverse the NURBS surface before I created the glass....bahahahaha and I NEVER forget to do that....I really wish 2 sided lighting was off all the time......doh. Yeh Im on 2009 mate...just fin part 2 of the tut...Production Workflow. Oh and I have learnt about the Graph editor...f*****g sweet mate...thats a little bit I didnt know about....EXCELLENT.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 6 23-11-2011 , 12:40 PM
Lifetime Member
I will do part 3 tomorrow man I beat....I have worked out (I know jumping ahead...sigh) that tweaking the bounciness on the plane AND the glass stops the rings from flying out too fast. I WILL watch part 3 for the difference between static and dynamic friction....so Im not jumping ahead LOL (naughty man I am). I am currently tipping over a cup (its all I have in my prison room)...with coins in it to study the way they move....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 7 23-11-2011 , 12:48 PM
SM Tea Boy
Glad you worked it out mate. I believe the attribute spreadsheet editor is in that tutorial somewhere which can be a lifesaver if your working with many objects. You can also swap the ridged body objects for nCloth objects for soft body dynamics or simply as the nSolver is better than the one used in Maya's ridged body sims.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 8 23-11-2011 , 12:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Sweet as mate...I just LOVE dynamics mate....gives the brain a workout and I feel more involved than just modelling. Cheers for the help mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 9 23-11-2011 , 01:53 PM
SM Tea Boy
Here you go I knocked this up with nCloth acting as the rigid bodies

test1800 - YouTube

You'll see intersecting geo because I have the quality of self collisions set way way down. Did not want to spend to long simulating this bugger.

BTW the sphere that crashes through the wall has no dynamic proprieties whatsoever it's not a passive colder. The wall itself is an ncloth object and it's the only dynamic object in the scene lol just to mess with your head a bit user added image

Dave user added image

# 10 24-11-2011 , 10:09 PM
SM Tea Boy
Just re-rendered this one out for a holiday special

glass fall - YouTube

Sorry about the crappy youtube quality.
Dave

# 11 24-11-2011 , 10:18 PM
Cool dynamics stuff Dave!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 12 24-11-2011 , 10:27 PM
SM Tea Boy
Thanks I'm in the process of re-creating this in collaboration with Jay

Lighthouses and waves during VERY stormy weather - YouTube

It's a large project as you can imagine. I'd also love to do something with the RIM launcher you sent me as it's a very nice model I just have not had the chance yet. But hopefully I'll do it justice.

Dave user added image

# 13 24-11-2011 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks for the bullet one David, you do realise now you have piqued my interest I will work out how you did it ....glass looks nicer with a darker background mate. As for the lighthouse...good luck...that would be awesome to see!!! I have a photo framed of the firts one I think in my house...cost me a bit too. Has a dude standing in the doorway with a HUGE wave breaking around the lighthouse.....awesome stuff. Would be scary to be there, though I would love it!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 14 25-11-2011 , 05:01 AM
Lifetime Member
I got it to work BUT my sphere is a collider.....hmmmm you have me thinking now LOL...and yes I Googled how to shatter ncloth....Im not that smart like you David...he he he he

cheers bullet

EDIT....I worked it out....and my sphere is now not a collider....he he he he he

EDIT EDIT ........looks like I jumped too fast...LOL my sphere still had a collider from a test attached....DAMN YOU DAVID!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggguser added image

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 25-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
# 15 26-11-2011 , 02:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Done part 3 David.....got the rings to bounce nicely I hope...no warning from Maya about object interpenetration.....Im still stumped over that bullet sequence.....

cheers bullet

bullet1968