Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-04-2003 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber

Car Modeling

I'm trying myself on some car design at the moment...and have some major problems with it...I've created most of the curves, needed for lofting, but my problem is: how shall i loft them...what's the best way ?? Created some fast loft to see how it will look like...and it doesn't look like the way i want it to look. So If someone has the time, to guide me through the process of modeling a NURBS-Car (and not the Subaru thingie, I know this tutorial more then well ;O)) I'd be very happy about that.

Enclosed are some wireframe-shots on what i have so far, and the loft-test.

THX

b u l l e t

# 2 18-04-2003 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber

LOFT

and here's the loft...have lot's of gaps and parts which don't fit together, but i can't get rid of them.....user added image

b u l l e t

# 3 18-04-2003 , 03:17 PM
Looking good bullet.. nice to see ya around again mate.

I dont use nurbs curves mush so i cant help with which why is best to loft..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 18-04-2003 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Thx...but this model is making me sick !.....Want somethink Suurland like....renderd with HDRI and stuff...but I'm stuck with the model...need personal assistance *g*

# 5 19-04-2003 , 03:50 AM
Subscriber
Hi BulletProof
I myself recently modelled a car and found the best way is to loft and birail. I must say though that your model look great. it doesnt look to me like you need any help. I like it!

bye

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 6 19-04-2003 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
Thx for your compliments...but I'm too much of an perfecionist to leave it this way...(can't work with messy models, because of my computer)...will try to continue with what i have so far...and keep you informed. Can't be that difficult, but really seems to be this way....

# 7 19-04-2003 , 07:12 PM
Probably best method is birail, but you´d need to revise all curves to intersect first working on a duplicate. After this you can also stitch some parts of the model.
Anyway, real cars are made of independent pieces, and they do not need to match exactly with a perfect parametrization. Most importat is curvature and control over the model.

Also try to align the surfaces.

It looks good. Is it an eco-car running without petrol? user added image

# 8 23-04-2003 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber

Modeling

After talking to Thomas Suurland..discussing about the problem, I've decided to start from the beginning again...the better choice....keep you updated

# 9 25-04-2003 , 10:09 PM
Suurland uses trimmed surfaces, which will make your life a lot easier. Also, for the VW, he used Rhino, which is a lot more forgiving than maya.

with the method you're using, the key is using align surface and align curves in order to make make the surfaces join as seamless as possible. then use the mel script, it's at Highend3D...think it's called pointsaverage.mel that will help you close up your gaps as well.

also, you don't have to draw curves for both sides. but i took suurland's advice, so on areas that you wanted to go seamlessly over the centerline (hood, trunk), i drew my lines across. everything else was duplicated over.

user added image

hope this at least gives you an idea of how to work. it's a little tough getting the workflow down...

Last edited by khaavren; 25-04-2003 at 10:11 PM.
# 10 27-04-2003 , 12:34 AM
This is a Lamborguini Murciélago right? user added image

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 11 27-04-2003 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
yup...exactly....hopefully it will be more clear, afterwards *g*