Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 121 11-06-2003 , 07:30 PM
BabyDuck: user added image Yeah, yeah the wheels are floatinguser added image user added image , I thought I would post an image before I start to model the supports and stuff... Thought It was time to give you guys an update... Its not done! user added image

LauriePriest: I did the wheels and treds very similar to what ou did, but I am actually going to redo the treds, I am going to keep the style and design, but I am working on an expression so I can animate them along a path, and animate each individual wheel, and have the tred still lined up.. But I may not be able to do that untill the challenge is finnished due to lack of time. lol. Yep, once I get the design the way I want, I am going to start Beating it up (only alittle user added image ) and adding some White Camo... and do the textures last.That is the order that I am going to try and do. I want to make it look like there is actually snow and ice on it. It just depends on how much time I am going to have, I am dead set on getting this one in on time. user added image

Drknow: I agree with you user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 122 11-06-2003 , 07:37 PM
You used a move along a curve whatsit to animate moving treads? Or another way Ive not thought of?

# 123 11-06-2003 , 07:46 PM
It's looking really good. I'm impressed with all the detail you're are putting into it. Can't wait to see more!

Lauren :headbang:

# 124 11-06-2003 , 07:47 PM
brian.. if you get that expression done... it will be your duty to share it with us user added image, yay beat it up nice and proper

FX supervisor - double negative
# 125 11-06-2003 , 09:30 PM
Yeah I will let you guys know if I can figure that out.. Hmm.. This is a concept. I would like your opinions... Wondering if this body shape is any better... What do you think. This is just a really rough idea, I just used a lattice to change the shape of the Vehicle. Let me know if you think it looks better than the Suv look, Although I still prefer the SUV look user added image
Thanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 126 11-06-2003 , 10:31 PM
looking great but could you show us a render?

# 127 12-06-2003 , 12:04 AM
yeah please.
and on a side note. DANG IT! Now im losing again!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 128 12-06-2003 , 07:07 AM
its looking great brian, the front looks a bit weird but of course u have done no detail there yet, lol yes brian you may prefer the SUV but i wouldnt say that would match the challenge criteria

FX supervisor - double negative
# 129 12-06-2003 , 11:19 AM
Subscriber
i consider the second body still a suv. comes closer to a hummer user added image (i love those)

so my vote is for the second choice :p

# 130 12-06-2003 , 12:50 PM
I totally prefer this second one!
D*rn, what a great vehicle.
I can see it in an ice environment.

# 131 12-06-2003 , 03:06 PM
Thanks for your replies guys... Rendering could take a while... So here is an example of just the treds rendered right now... I used MR. THanks,
Brian
I promise i will have a new update soon... THanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 132 12-06-2003 , 03:10 PM
Here is what my final background image is going to be. THought that you would like to see it. Origianally it is 2048 x 1536

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 133 12-06-2003 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
hey man, this is looking awesome! I personally feel it does fit the category.. because its just soo odd.. but you still havent opened your mind as much as i have seen you do in the past.. because you stuck to that SUV shape soo much.. that your wheels dont even fit. lol. I think if you altered around so that the wheels could actually fit into the car it could be better. Because as of now, theres no support for those bottom bearings or wheels.. and then theres like army tread going around.. but because theres nothing holding it there.. why wouldnt the car just collapse? Anyways, the model itself is outstanding and the treads have SO much definition. Keep up the good work, just try to think of things to add for that extreme ice feel. Ok, cya.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 134 12-06-2003 , 04:04 PM
M, I know that you think that my tred design doesn't fit.... but take a look at this... This is what I based it on, these are selling right now for about 12-15 thousand dollars for the conversion, The military and Gov uses these, but regular people can purchase it as well. It is used for snow conditions,so it uses ruber for the tred. I wanted to use steel plates with spikes for ice instead of snow. I know that my wheel setup may be different, but I like the larger bottom wheels instead of the the tiny ones they use in this pic, Just because it looks cooler and meaner user added image. Thanks for your reply and sugestions... After seeing this image, do you still think its a bad design? I know I could scale down the treds and stuff to match the scale on the hummer, but I think it looks kinda weak, but if you think it would look better or more realistic please let me know! Thanks,
Brian

Also, I am still going to model all of the supports, and suspension and stuff.

Attached Images

Please check
My (old) website!

Last edited by brian_ellebracht; 12-06-2003 at 04:07 PM.
# 135 12-06-2003 , 04:10 PM
here is another example, but I don't like the design to much because it looks so small. user added image
Brian

Attached Images

Please check
My (old) website!