Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 166 03-12-2006 , 12:13 PM
Acid44
well if you've heard of my chemical romance then thats like the all out emo look its like goth punk mixed with gay but i have nothing against the model it looks great

# 167 03-12-2006 , 04:33 PM
cool. user added image

as enhzflep said the stubble on the jaw look great. Any chance we could see some of your face texture maps? user added image

# 168 03-12-2006 , 08:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
New...with added sideburns

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 169 03-12-2006 , 08:31 PM
Texture Sample...

Jay

Attached Images
# 170 03-12-2006 , 10:24 PM
S**t the bed Jay thats cool.

The hairs great work dude, reckon you should put a tutorial on doing that as Ive driven myself round the bend attempting Paint FX hair!

did you do all the texture work in Z or some in Photoshop?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 171 04-12-2006 , 12:24 AM
Steve

Thanks dude. Paint FX is relatively easy to set up. This has about 20 EP Curves around the skull for the basic hair shape. Then in the centre of the skull where the parting would be I have 2 curves with 2 paint FX strokes on each, these are then set, to the control curves around the skull. The tuning for the look of it took the longest and a bit of tweaking around the ears. The sideburn took 10 mins...which was nice!

I'll see about a tute as they are time consuming, Im supposed to be doing another one for SM soon but Im real busy atm.

Cheers
Jay

# 172 04-12-2006 , 08:11 AM
Wow! WHat a huge difference the final version of the hair makes! The model and texturing were top notch to begin with, but the final touches of the finished hair and sideburns really set it off. Great work!

On a side note, a Hair Tute would rock! No rush, but I wanna make hair like that, especially since 'Paint FX is relatively easy to set up'!:p

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 173 04-12-2006 , 08:29 AM
Eric

Thank you.

I'd like to say to all that I try to be conservative with answers regarding my work, as taste and peoples perception of things differ greatly as does the crit. I love crit, and reading what people say about my work, good or bad, but in this instance with this guy its nice to blow people away with the result, because sometimes reading between the lines I always pick up doubts in the comments. My characters are always written first, then sketched many times until a certain look is achieved, then the model will be done, and its in this instance I dont give to much away. Yawn...

Anyway a tute on hair fx, yeah, I'll see what free time I get, Im supposed to be doing a couple of others first but time is 'precioussss'
When I say relatively easy, it is! Im mean any one can draw curves and attach a paint stroke to it...cant they?

The tweaking is the hard part. Like they say at ILM, " its like brushing your hair in front of a mirror but with the light out, you turn it on have a look at the result, then turn it out again and brush again..."

Theres a fair amount of render time involved and thats where you need lots of patience...

Will update soon
Jay

# 174 04-12-2006 , 09:45 AM
Hey Jay,

My works with paint effects curves the way you describe always end up looking like a Bobby Charlton combover! LOL

That description about combing your hair in the dark is bang on, just a matter of time learning all the attributes.

Just had a thought about this guy, discard it if you want, but as he's a bad guy gunslinger what about giving hime some weird eyes, by that I mean say overlarge pupils just to give him a weird edge to his persona?

Just a thought dude!

Cheers

Steve

# 175 04-12-2006 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
it looks great Jay. Will you render using Maya software or MR?

# 176 04-12-2006 , 09:51 AM
Thanks Guys

Steve, good idea, you mean almost stoned LOL. Also forgot to answer your question about texturing, I did in Z and PS.

Minstrel: For rendering most likely software render as PFX is a ballache in MR...

Update...
Jay

user added image

# 177 04-12-2006 , 03:55 PM
Acid44
dude... looks amazing

user added image

i guess its the lighting but 1 eye looks dull and the other looks glossy

# 178 04-12-2006 , 06:39 PM
Acid, yeah Im aware of the eyes thanks, they are not finalised...one thing at a time though, eh?

Cheers
Jay

# 179 04-12-2006 , 07:04 PM
thanks for the texture map jay user added image

Still not sure about the hair to be honest - I think it's looking a little too straight and smooth, but that's just my opinion.

# 180 04-12-2006 , 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Jay
Thanks Guys

Steve, good idea, you mean almost stoned LOL. Also forgot to answer your question about texturing, I did in Z and PS.

Yeah man, just to make you think theres something about him that aint quite right in the head, not too sure that you'd be after a total nutter look though LOL.