Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 27-07-2008 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the Prop Blue. Cheers.

did a couple of occlusions, just for shits and giggles today. Talk about hurting my poor little system. Anywho, lots of work done today, should be equally as much if not more tomorrow and the same until saturday. So Heres to the wonderful Idea of daily updates...

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Cheers,
Alexander

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 17 27-07-2008 , 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
This is looking pretty good, though I don't know why the shading is like that on that cone thats hanging there. I'm guessing this guy is going to be having some decent camera time.

- Genny
# 18 27-07-2008 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
This is looking pretty good, though I don't know why the shading is like that on that cone thats hanging there. I'm guessing this guy is going to be having some decent camera time.

Oh he's going to need some camera time when it's done. Animation + details, never mind texturing. I can't wait to finish the modeling and start showing off more detail. The rigging is going to be tough, but SO much fun. Thanks for the comments. I dunno what is up with the cone. I think I might have accidentally effed up some normals. But it's ok, its just there for reference and size placement at the moment.

Arch Viz Reel

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 19 28-07-2008 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
Started working on the arm today, got the movement started.

A crappy little playblast can be viewed here:
playblast!

Arch Viz Reel

# 20 28-07-2008 , 02:43 PM
Thats good so far!

Though, the sketch looked like it had some more bits and pieces on it.. Have you not modeled those yet, or did you decide not to?

Awesome job so far. Looks amazing user added image

# 21 28-07-2008 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Bluethunder
Thats good so far!

Though, the sketch looked like it had some more bits and pieces on it.. Have you not modeled those yet, or did you decide not to?

Awesome job so far. Looks amazing user added image

Unfortunately not done the modeling yet. But I am keeping at it, as every hour spent equals another hour done... or atleast of experimentation lol Problem is now, I design a new piece that doesn't fit the look. So I either go back and redesign other parts or I have to go back to the drawing board for the piece I was on. More to come tomorrow.

Arch Viz Reel

# 22 29-07-2008 , 02:06 AM
Yeah, that's why it's a WIP, stuff is always being added. It's all awesome so far.

One thing I might say is that the center part (right below the seat) is looking a little bit bare compared to the drawing. It needs some more detail there.

Awesome job so far. What about the pieces you design doesn't fit the look? You could post them here, and ask people what should be modified (unless you know what needs fixing)

# 23 29-07-2008 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
well the problem I am having with most of the model now is that you can see everything, which would be fine if it didn't look so bland. I find that everywhere it seems to look like something is missing.
I can only add so many wires before it starts to look like they are there for no real reason.

So I'm constantly thinking how I can improve the design or redesign parts to make them look better or more interesting.

Arch Viz Reel

# 24 29-07-2008 , 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
I think you feel that way because its an AO render and it has no textures yet, dunno if you're going to use the MR round corners texture either to bevel out some of those hard edges. I'm not machine expert but from observation, a lot of them have some sort of embossment and/or extrusions on the body or the large flat areas so that could be adding to why you think something is missing.

- Genny
# 25 01-08-2008 , 08:18 PM

:)

Hey Alex, that looks great man.. have you had any thoughts on how your going to uv him? eg colour code..

anywho, it looks pretty sweet, nice industrial feel to it user added image

take it easy chief.

-Ruff

# 26 03-08-2008 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber

Re: :)

Originally posted by GecT
I think you feel that way because its an AO render and it has no textures yet, dunno if you're going to use the MR round corners texture either to bevel out some of those hard edges. I'm not machine expert but from observation, a lot of them have some sort of embossment and/or extrusions on the body or the large flat areas so that could be adding to why you think something is missing.

Yeah, I think I spent too much time looking at the bland AO renders. I'm going to start texturing some pieces and see if I can achieve the look I want. I'm not planning on the round corners, as that would limit me to MR.
As for the large flat spans, I do believe you are correct and as such I am going to have to do some research as to what is commonly done, and then what I'd like to do.

Originally posted by Ruff
Hey Alex, that looks great man.. have you had any thoughts on how your going to uv him? eg colour code..

anywho, it looks pretty sweet, nice industrial feel to it user added image

take it easy chief.

-Ruff

Well, I've been looking at all kinds of machines (construction) and watching starwars, the matrix, and the likes for reference. I think I am going to go for a Dark Steel look/feel. Dirty, and used. Chrome or Black chrome for the hydraulic pistons. I think I'm going to stick to a dark grey/black at the moment for the bulk of the body parts. Add some decals for colour. But I'll update that as things start to happen.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Cheers,
Alexander

Arch Viz Reel

# 27 04-08-2008 , 03:00 PM
yea seriously, you could spice things up on your 'bland' areas by just having some beveled primitives sticking out... it's as easy as that. a few long skinny rectangles to look like a heat-sink, cylinders or hemispheres poking out for god knows why... it all adds to the detail and not a lot of people will really ask why they're there if it looks good.

Accept no substitutions.
# 28 04-08-2008 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
Neo Strider, you are the Man.
I build computers yet I didn't even think about things like heatsinks. I have much inspiration now.
Cheers mate!

More on the updates section.
AO just because I like cheap thrills.
user added image
user added image
https://ahosking.com/3DAnimation/trip...overall/05.pnguser added image
user added image

Cheers, and thanks for the comments everyone.

Arch Viz Reel

# 29 07-08-2008 , 04:21 AM
Subscriber
Some part re-tooling as per concept authors instructions and request. Here be the beginnings of the foot.
user added image

In case anyone is wondering, I am doing this piece for my portfolio and for a friend and also kinda for a job interview at the same time.
So while I am posting this WIP, I am taking direction from my friends point of view of the item itself as well as his bosses opinion. Any ways, keep the comments and crits coming guys, I very much appreciate them.

As for the "re-design" if you will. I'm still a student, and fresh to some of the, okay, most of the mechanical modeling concepts and aspects. So I am re-tooling the mech to be more practical if you will. I am trying to make parts that could actually work, and could realistically be built to support the mech itself, and parts that you might actually be able to assemble if you had them.

Cheers,
Alexander

Arch Viz Reel

# 30 07-08-2008 , 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
You're going into a lot of detail there lol geez, looking good.

- Genny