Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-08-2005 , 08:45 PM

High poly mods for games!

First of all did any one happen to go to SIGGRAPH this year? I was abel to go, it was amazing. I was abel to go to a job fare and show some of my work to companys like EA, Neversoft, Microsoft, and others. The Thing that suprised me was that I was actually told to have models with higher poly counts, and its not like I had low poly models. The rep. from EA said It wasnt nesasarly a bad thing to have low poly mods but that because of where the game indistry is going there is basicaly no need to wory about low poly models anymore. Any way I just thought it was intresting and you guys might want to know.

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
# 2 18-08-2005 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
yeah, ive heard that games will aparently have no poly limit prety soon, cant wait for photorealistic games user added image

Edit: well not soon but within a few years :p

# 3 18-08-2005 , 09:26 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image!!!!Can't wait for that!!!!

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 4 18-08-2005 , 11:12 PM
This is going to be really cool. Pretty soon, games will be so realistic that, whenever we're not playing, we'll be looking for some kind of health bar over our heads when we get burned by hot cookies. user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 5 26-08-2005 , 12:19 AM
500,000 -> 1,000,000 (aparently able to push 1,500,000 according to Epic) onscreen for Next-Gen.

Also aparently according to PixelShaders 3 -- lighting can be done to both sides of a face at one time, so paper-walls aren't so bad anymore (again -- just aparently)

# 6 26-08-2005 , 07:03 PM
Not only that but if you are able to do hi-poly models well then you should be able to do low poly models also. Can't say the same for the reverse.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 29-08-2005 , 02:53 AM
Actually going "low poly" seems to be just about everyone I meet's problem.

"Look at this spacecraft" (blob) "Only 2000 polys"

I think its actually in McKinley's comics (which I assume is based off an actual event) where a girl does >1,000,000 polys.