Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 27-08-2008 , 02:34 AM
The Maya Mountain
people don't routinely steal and download ferrari's for free over the internet either. :p

# 17 27-08-2008 , 04:28 AM
LOL, I wonder what would've happened if one could steal materialistic stuff as easily as software...
The only serious businesses in the world will very soon become advertising and security, and when(not if) the later fails there'll be nothing left to advertise since everything's going to be FREE!
Oo, the mayhem it will cause...
I don't really have an economics degree to say anything for sure, but the very idea of downloading cars from the internet is absurd anyway so it doesn't matter.

The idea of a realistic virtual world sound cool as well, but don't forget that it's not all models. You'll have to have superb physics engine as well and god knows what else to make a really realistic world.
It will of course be even cooler if the computer(s) creating it will be just big enough so you don't loose it...

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 18 27-08-2008 , 07:42 AM

Originally posted by jsprogg
we don't want large computers we want a Holodeck..end of

Ohh, I've got sorta one, although the graphics are lacking at the moment, as its all motion builder, but you still fully interact,i.e you know where stuff is, but you cant bump into stuff though, and it costs a fortune what with the rest of the bits you need to get it going, fun though!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 27-08-2008 at 07:46 AM.
# 19 27-08-2008 , 03:50 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Ohh, I've got sorta one, although the graphics are lacking at the moment, as its all motion builder, but you still fully interact,i.e you know where stuff is, but you cant bump into stuff though, and it costs a fortune what with the rest of the bits you need to get it going, fun though!

I know! We will build a suit so when you bump into virtual objects, the suit will I dunno, prevent you from moving into the object's volume by exterting opposite force...

I'm not making sense am I? user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 20 27-08-2008 , 04:02 PM
Acid44
lol, the word "exerting" had my gf stumped :p

once again... that would be sweeeeeeeeeet:p

# 21 27-08-2008 , 04:12 PM
lol...

I think I saw a documentary about some virtual reality gloves that had force feedback once... they guy would wear these glasses and see a 3D sphere, he would then reach out and "grab" it, and the glove would stop at a point so he couldn't move his fingers into the sphere's volume...

Not sure if I'm mixing things up...

Anyways, if I didn't dream that up, what we need is a bigger, full-body sized one...

And a modified version of Quake/GTA/Elder Scrolls/Playboy Mansion/<fav. game/> and PROFIT!!! :p

# 22 27-08-2008 , 06:19 PM
yeah ther eis some thing like that, the thread of technology is called haptic feedback.

Might have a crack with our suit and motion builder today for a laugh as I need to do some mo cap any way.

# 23 28-08-2008 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
haptic technology is still in the research phase i think

but there have been some good things so far like the phantom and omni, they are devices to teach blind people how to write, because it's important that they can write things like their signiture

you know people actually judge you on your signiture alone??

the blind person can be all cool and have a phd and be really smart and stuff, but their signiture comes out like a 3 year old's hand writing, and employors look at it and think the blind person is uneducated and stupid

bottom line, if you sig aint good then you aint getting a job

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 24 28-08-2008 , 04:24 PM
my handwritings attrocious, suppose it will go well with my Doctorate, if/when I get it.

People judge by a lot of things as soon as they see something, just human nature.

# 25 28-08-2008 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
bad hand writing is the mark of an intelligent person they say

but a 27 year old with a signiture that looks like they are 3 years old is held against them

signitures and hand writing are different things anyway (?)

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 26 28-08-2008 , 04:39 PM
Both of mine are crap anyway!

# 27 28-08-2008 , 05:50 PM
Handwriting? Job? Surely we are not stuck in the 15th century are we? No point in doing fancy calligraphy when I can press a button and have a perfect, precise letter pop up instantly on screen. :p

Burn the quill! Burn the quill!

# 28 03-09-2008 , 07:26 AM

# 29 03-09-2008 , 07:53 AM

# 30 03-09-2008 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
i think i will link this to the HCI lecturer user added image