Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 24-12-2007 , 03:25 AM
Subscriber

Bending poles cylinders

Hi again

I'm trying to make the bottom of a bar stool, I've included a picture for reference.
I'm trying to understand how to make the legs. I've tried using a polygon primitive cylinder then selecting all the faces at the end and extruding them out using the extrude tool with it following a CV curve. This method only seems to work with one face selected at the end not all of them. I know I need to use the taper and twist but I'm missing part of the method in the middle. Or I'm going about it completely the wrong way. Basically I want to know how to bend a cylinder shaped primitive to my required shape.

Cheers user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-12-2007 , 03:44 AM
Lifetime Member
There are several ways to make this as with anything.
If you are having trouble with extruding along a curve then a couple of easy ways might be :

1. Create a torus and scale it to size and girth and then delete three quarters of it.

2. create a cylinder and scale it to size then apply a deformer like a bend deformer or lattice to curve it to shape.

There are also other ways but try those two for staters and if you still have a problem them come back and we can suggest more.

regards J.S.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 24-12-2007 , 04:19 AM
Subscriber

Puzzled

Originally posted by jsprogg

1. Create a torus and scale it to size and girth and then delete three quarters of it.

2. create a cylinder and scale it to size then apply a deformer like a bend deformer or lattice to curve it to shape.

[/B]

Sounds good I'm a noob so how do I find the deformer options I couldn't see it on the hotbox.

What do you mean by girth?

# 4 24-12-2007 , 05:01 AM
Lifetime Member
For deformers go to the Animation menu set the select your object and choose a deformer under Create Deformers.Adjust your deformer so your object is how you like it and then to delete the deformer and keep the deformation just select the object and delete history.
Girth read thickness of your pipe.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 24-12-2007 at 05:05 AM.
# 5 24-12-2007 , 02:05 PM
Subscriber
its not what i would use, id probably extrude

but anyway.., so its not so vague

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 6 24-12-2007 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
add some spans to the , in this case, nurbs object

use 'curvature' to bend it and if you want to know more.., hit F! (so im told user added image ) and do a search about this tool

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 24-12-2007 , 07:59 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Using deformers as mentioned above is a pretty good way to go about doing this, but it could soon become allot more work than necessary. Playing with and fine tuning the deformers, to exactly replicate the shape and flow of the poles in and 3 axises. Could soon become a tedious pain!!!

What i would do is create a CV curve to outline the profile of a Bar stool pole, and then create a Nurbs circle and extrude it along the curve.

It would take about 10-15 minutes to complete the hole stool!

Though the stool in your image is not very complex at all, and would be no paint to model with deformers. as it's built up by basic straight and rounded shapes.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 24-12-2007 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
as i said, first thing i said., EXTRUDE!! user added image

mate, just to let you know.., in this context.., you spell it as 'whole' user added image

# 9 24-12-2007 , 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Mayaniac
. Playing with and fine tuning the deformers, to exactly replicate the shape and flow of the poles in and 3 axises. Could soon become a tedious pain!!!

To replicate it just delete the history then adjust the pivot and then use the duplicate special for there angles and the number of duplicates, simple.

Ive got to say if it was me I would just make a torus snd then delete 3/4 of it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 24-12-2007 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
thought he was trying to make the top.., typical.., im always assuming user added image

your 100% corrrect as usual Steve user added image (in my humble opinion)

# 11 25-12-2007 , 07:56 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
@Mirek03: Whole/Hole.... Yeah i missed that one user added image But i tend to type to fast for my own good!

@gster123: Yes, and like i said:

" Though the stool in your image is not very complex at all, and would be no pain to model with deformers."

I was saying that to model a much more complex pipe structure, I would most likely use the extrude method.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"