Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-08-2005 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber

WEIRD UTE image confused

This is the weirdest thing ever, and my wife has started suggesting I "take a class on Maya" which sounds like she thinks I don't know what I'm doing. Honestly, I don't think I could do this if I wanted to.

It looks like the UTE is using a shader swatch as the image that shows up in the UTE when editing UVs. This proves to make getting your UVs sorted out nigh impossible. The texture displays correctly on the model. I got it to go away once, by exporting/importing, but I had to do it a couple times. It seems like it came back when I saved the file. New files do it. Old files do it. Wiping \\MyDocs\Maya doesn't fix it.

I'm losing precious unemployment time figuring out WTF is going on instead of working on my portfolio.

Please see attached file. You can see it's the same image that shows up for the shader in Hypershade.

Attached Thumbnails

Do they speak English in What?
# 2 09-09-2005 , 05:22 AM
My immediate guess is that you're putting textures on LAMBERT 1. DONT DO THAT Lambert 1 is the default shader for all geometry created in Maya.

Obviously you're working with polygons. Are you texture mapping these using the various texture mapping methods? i.e. Planar, Cylindrical, Sphereical, Automatic? Using one of these should clear the image in the background. Otherwise, there's a button in the UTE to turn off the background image. It's the one with the picure of the kid on it.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 09-09-2005 , 05:33 AM
Subscriber
I should have replied with my solution earlier...

Something with the video refresh rate was screwed up, and it doesn't make a damn lick of sense, but I just changed the resolution from 1600x1200 to 1024x768, then back. This solved my problem. I also am not using a certified video card, but this is the first time in over two years that I've had this problem show up.

Anyhoo, chalk this one up to the WTF solution column.

Do they speak English in What?