Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-10-2005 , 06:53 PM

Santa's hat

I'm currently making a model of santa for a short xmas animation i plan to complete, I'd like the clothes to move realistically and wondered how i can get santa's hat to bob around as a real santa hat would

do i model the whole hat in maya cloth and parent it to his head? or is it best to use soft bodies?
I don't have a clue and i'd love to know the best method for it
(prehaps i should rig the hat and animate it too?)

Professional Noob

MSN me
# 2 10-10-2005 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
If you're using Maya Cloth you should have your body as a collision object, so the hat should place itself ontop of the head when it's cached(?), but I have no idea whether it'll stay once you start moving him around. Don't really know anything about softbodies, but I think you could get away with rigging it using a few joints and add a IK Spline solver to the chain and then keyframe it bopping around...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 11-10-2005 , 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input, but i think animating the hat aint' gonna look too good. I tried making a simple hat and putting it on a simple head shape, when you parent the cloth to the head it will move when the spere does, but it doesn't stay on top of the head at all, it just falls off. I need some way of attatching the edges of the cloth to the top of his head so the rest of the hat can be acting as cloth whilst the base of the hat moves wih the head. then the rest of the hat will just follow the heads movements.

Any ideas anyone?
(i made the body a collision object as you said blomkaal)

Professional Noob

MSN me