Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-04-2007 , 12:57 PM

Rope

I want to model a realistic rope, I've tried creating a helix poly then using the twist deformer but I cannot get good results. Any ideas? Also, what would be a good way to animate it after it's done? I've tried some tutorials online, but they suck. Thanks in advance!!

# 2 25-04-2007 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
hum interesting one there bahamut. I dont know if this is what you tried but y not do it like how a rope is actually made. try taking 2 or 3 vertical standard cylinders with a lot of subdivsions in them. then combine them into one poly and use a twist deformer on that. havent tried it to see if it works but just an idea. As far as animating I would either use a bend deformer so you can easily swing it here or there. or you could use multiple joints attached with an IK from the end to the starting joint. thats how I useally do it but doesnt always give me the best results.

# 3 26-04-2007 , 03:41 AM
Deform a circle so its like a clover but with more leaves (so it will be the strand for your rope. Make a nurbs curve where you want it to be, convert it to a dynamic curve using the hair system. then seclect the curve and do an extrude, modifying the number of twists (rotations) to suit how tightly wound you want the rope to be.

You can than play with the hair dynamics to get it moving how you want it to.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 27-04-2007 , 08:04 PM
wow, gster, to understand what you just said took me like 10 minutes =D