Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-11-2007 , 07:03 PM

More game burnings!

I was just browsing through the daily news when this came up: Link

In my humble opinion it doesn't seem right that scenes, no matter how awesome, must be removed from games just because they could potentially cause seizures. More bubble wrap for me please...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 2 29-11-2007 , 11:17 PM
I dunno, if there dangerous and could cause fits, which evidence says they could then I think its right not sell them.

I mean if you get a TV thats poorly designed that might give you an electric shock you when switching it on, would you think thats safe for sale?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 29-11-2007 , 11:39 PM
Yes, it's not safe to sell stuff thats 100% dangerous, but these seizures which games supposedly cause are not the fault of games. People who can't tolerate strobing lights and stuff shouldn't be playing them in the first place. It's kinda like alcohol for example, you only drink as much as you can take. If you fall over, well that's your fault for not stopping. It's kinda the same with games, if it makes you uncomfortable, then stop playing.

# 4 29-11-2007 , 11:41 PM
Jr.Who
When I saw "suffered a seizure while playing Rayman Raving Rabbids" I just couldn't stop from laughing. I thought this was going to be another rant on some M rated game or something. I always thought the warning screen about seizures was a joke.

# 5 29-11-2007 , 11:54 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
Yes, it's not safe to sell stuff thats 100% dangerous, but these seizures which games supposedly cause are not the fault of games. People who can't tolerate strobing lights and stuff shouldn't be playing them in the first place. It's kinda like alcohol for example, you only drink as much as you can take. If you fall over, well that's your fault for not stopping. It's kinda the same with games, if it makes you uncomfortable, then stop playing.

If theres not a warning on there then how do you know its safe?? Thats like saying if you touch the TV and you get a shock and die cos your prone to it, then well tought luck, there should be standards for this type of thing as its done with movies and TV.

Also alcohols different as it carries a warning and its effects are well known, in this case there not, and I beleve that the fits can just come on without any warning.

The simple facts of the matter are is there a risk to users = yes, then put some thing in place, simple.

# 6 30-11-2007 , 12:05 AM
Alcohol carries a warning? Not where I come from...

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that its not the game's fault that a small number of people have seizures when they play the game and that developers don't have to suffer more with more anti-game hysteria.

Take this for example. I am allergic to nuts. I may fall over and stop moving if I eat so much as one. That doesn't mean I go around banning everything and demand that a warning label should be slapped on everything. I just be more careful, like read the ingredients list first, since what right do I have to impose restrictions upon others? People should know that anything flashing can potentially cause seizures, just like that I know that food can potentially contain nuts and exercise more caution.

# 7 30-11-2007 , 12:08 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
If theres not a warning on there then how do you know its safe?? Thats like saying if you touch the TV and you get a shock and die cos your prone to it, then well tought luck, there should be standards for this type of thing as its done with movies and TV.

Also alcohols different as it carries a warning and its effects are well known, in this case there not, and I beleve that the fits can just come on without any warning.

There is a warning on these games though.

# 8 30-11-2007 , 12:14 AM
Yes there are warnings on games, which I don't 100% agree with. But the main thing that bugs me is that people want to ban scenes that could cause seizures.

# 9 30-11-2007 , 04:10 AM

Originally posted by The Architect
Yes there are warnings on games, which I don't 100% agree with. But the main thing that bugs me is that people want to ban scenes that could cause seizures.

Err but if say you were susceptable to them, and you didnt read the warnings, ie like with smoking, and you say played them at a friends house and you ended up dead, or even if you were in your early teens and (as I thought) imune to most things and thought "ohh i'll be ok" and ended up dead/coma do you think that your parents wouldent see a problem???

In all reality, if they can cause seizures then they shouldent be allowed, simple, regardless of how cool it looks, its a consumer product, if youve ever worked in industry that deals with the pubic then thats how you have to think, im thinking theres no discussion with this if its a danger to people and it can be regulated then regulate it, its an emmerging technology that otherwise hadnt been noticed to cause these things so look at it that way not "ohh it looks cool, if SOME people get seizures, and they didnt read the warning, then tough" then thats wrong considering that there aimed for everyone.

Should also say that for instance you dont even need to be plaing the game to have it, you could be watching without knowing that it might cause a problem.

Oh and as for warnings on alcohol it depends where you come from, but I doubt that Autodesk thought of putting warnings about alcohol in a scene file.

Last edited by gster123; 30-11-2007 at 04:23 AM.
# 10 30-11-2007 , 03:55 PM
Games are not programmed to cause seizures, unlike other intentionally dangerous things such as rollercoasters that are designed to pull 8 Gs on a turn or something. Rollercoasters therefore need warnings to alert those with say, heart conditions, becuase it is their goal to thrill you with high Gs and aldrenaline from good old fear. Just becuase some people (not the public) have certain conditions that will cause all sorts of emergencies from everyday harmless things, it does not mean that they need to slap warnings and bans everywhere.

Further more, there are hundreds, if not millions of other seizure triggers out there. Why not have warning labels on them as well? A lot of them would most likely be unintentional and have no effect on most people.

gster123 > 'Oh and as for warnings on alcohol it depends where you come from, but I doubt that Autodesk thought of putting warnings about alcohol in a scene file.'

user added image I was referring to real alchohol... seriously, there's a few bottles of wine and brandy buried in the cuboards in my place and they don't have warning labels, nor do the vodka we once brought for a friend of ours.

# 11 30-11-2007 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
i think that since it is for nintendo ds they are pretty safe against that trial.

my first game boy games already had a warning not to play the games if you could suffer a seizure.
its like printing on a pack o nuts It could have some nuts in it.

# 12 30-11-2007 , 08:36 PM
Lots of games have seizure warnings, even the really tame ones like Rollercoaster Tycoon. The original Quake, I believe had a nausea warning. But imagine if developers were forced to cut content that could case seizures to protect the ignorant masses from them? I mean, a game is interactive, so expect animation that could be coincidentally at the same frequency that causes seizures. Just like how people with nut allergies expect food to potentially contain nuts. The end result would to some tea party similator where everything is running at ridicoulosly slow frame rates - near zero I would expect.

# 13 02-12-2007 , 02:39 AM
only a liberal democrat could make a stupid idiotic law like that

# 14 02-12-2007 , 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Altadena
only a liberal democrat could make a stupid idiotic law like that

what the **** are you talking about?

I don't think any content should be removed from a game, but if it has the potential to give someone a seizure than obviously it should have a warning. If only so the company can avoid a lawsuit.

the reason food with nuts should have a warning on it is because if you're allergic to nuts than eating something with them in it could potentially kill you. that's got nothing to do with being liberal or a democrat. it's called common sense.

# 15 02-12-2007 , 09:25 AM
I agree with The Architect. If you know you have epilepsy then you should be more careful. Of course games are going to have flashing lights. Thats freakin obvious so they should have been more careful.

Its like the architect said, should we ban nuts just because some people are alergic to them? I am alergic to cats. Should we get rid of all the cats? I personally think yes hahaha

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!