Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-03-2005 , 10:46 AM

batch rendering changes colours of my model!

Hi!
As stated in the topic: batch rendering an animation using Maya software (no fancy settings - I'm a relative noob) changes the colours and shadings of certain parts of my model.

I modelled a character with really nice brown boots that looked fine on the test renders I made, but when I hit batch render - hey presto! - his boots come out blue and red!
In fact they take on the colours and shadings of other parts of the model, namely the blue lambert of the trousers and the red lambert of the shirt. However the viewports and separate renderings show the correct colours. It really only happens in a batch.

I tried reapplying the appropriate colours and shadings (phongs) to the specific faces of the boots and rerendering, but he still comes out looking like a twerp with his blue suede shoes... Google is silent as the grave.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

# 2 15-03-2005 , 09:41 PM
That is weird. The only thing I can think of to try is to delete the camera that you are using in the final render and create a new one.

Might be some UV corruption also.

# 3 15-03-2005 , 10:03 PM
What file type are you rendering to?

# 4 16-03-2005 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
other than doing batch, are there any othe changes between the test render and the batch's render globals settings? Different camera, different file type, different quality/resolution settings, hardware/software render, etc?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 16-03-2005 , 12:08 PM
It's not the camera... Even if I go back to an older file where I didn't even have cameras other than the four standard ones the same thing happens... Only now the shoes are red instead of blue. Wtf?

I usually render to png, but it doesn't matter what format I render to. Makes no difference....

As for the render settings... I assumed there wasn't any difference between the settings for batch rendering and "single" rendering? Anyway, I didn't change them much as I wouldn't know what to do with them user added image I rendered from the same camera.

The UV corruption is the only thing I haven't ruled out (as far as I can tell). Could that have anything to do with whether the model is animated or not? Cause I don't seem to have any problems with the unanimated version. His shoes only turn goofy as soon as he starts walking.

user added image
This is the test. No problem here...

user added image
This is the batch. Whoops!

Well, thanks for the time so far. I'll go see if I can find out whether it's the UVs and just fool around some more... I'll let you know if something comes up.
Thx!

# 6 16-03-2005 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
Try baking the shader materials prior to render. You're not using projected textures are you? I know I heard of the this problem before, I just can't remember the cause.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 16-03-2005 at 04:34 PM.
# 7 16-03-2005 , 03:11 PM
Uhm.. the problem seems to have been solved! I separated the different pieces that made up the model and reshaded them and now it works just fine.... Still beats me why it went wrong though....

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys!

# 8 16-03-2005 , 03:21 PM
Sorry, I hadn't seen your reply...

Yeah, maybe that's what I should do. I've never baked anything yet (I'm only just starting to get a hang of modeling) but it sounds as though that might be it. A friend of mine also mentioned it, but he's only slightly less noob than I am so he couldn't explain it... I'll dive into it.
Cheerz!