Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-07-2005 , 02:26 PM
Subscriber

Spitfire texturing tut

I am finding that when I convert my poly model to subd, after uv mapping the fuselage and applying a checker map, there is some stretching in some areas. I corrected most of the stuff by cleaning out, significantly, the mesh, but there are a couple of places that still have problems. If I use smooth instead I don't have any problems. I am guessing this problem is inherent in how subd work, but that seems to be a significant limiting factor. I have watched up to the 9th download so perhaps I am missing something. Is subd just a stepping stone when ever using uv mapped texturing? (That is, converting back and forth between subd and poly through the modeling process and then at the very end use smooth).

Also, is a subd model easier to render (fewer faces...less complex) than a smoothed/nurb object? If this is true then it would make sense to use subd for objects that are not uv map textured.

Thanks

# 2 16-07-2005 , 04:20 PM
Subscriber
I finished with the UV texturing and did my very first coloring...lots of fun user added image, im using a blinn shader with 3 lights. The model is Subd, it will look better when I smooth it instead.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-07-2005 , 06:04 AM
Subscriber
Here is an update, perhaps I should be posting these on the WIP section. I am still missing the bump map and the specular map. Playing around with putting dirt on this plane...very interesting stuff.

Guys, save your money and get this tut...worth every penny.

Attached Images
# 4 25-07-2005 , 05:06 AM
Subscriber
This one has bump map and spec map.

Attached Images
# 5 25-07-2005 , 11:22 AM
nice progression=) keep it up adn glad you have enjoyed the tut so much.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 26-07-2005 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
Finished with rendering...used FG and HDRI on this.

Attached Images

Last edited by Minstrel; 26-07-2005 at 02:35 PM.
# 7 26-07-2005 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
Both Ailerons are down. If one is down the other should be up, so unlike the elevator, they move in the opposite direction.

On the underside of the wing there are flaps on the inner trailing edge of the wing, you can have both of them down if you like (if you've modelled them).

BTW: Well Done

Cheers
Paul

# 8 27-07-2005 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
Can you post some close ups? Kind of hard to see how good the texture is at the current sizes.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 9 27-07-2005 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
Here is a close up. Some obvious details that I will fix (actually I already fixed in my new version) are the cockpit and the glass. I decided to redo the uv mapping and the texturing because I wanted to try merging the main body of the fuselage instead of breaking it in two like Kurt had it in the tut. The way he did it made it very hard to create different camo patterns on each side of the plane (works great if you dont mind symmetrical sides). Since I want to do an animation at some point with this model I had to have different looking patterns on each side.

Another comment...the bump map looks really pronounced this close up...a couple feet away and you can barely tell its there. I am thinking of putting a highlight in the spec map, perhaps that will help...

BMS, I only put the two flaps on the main wings, and two on the back wings. If there were more flaps on the main wing...oh well. I will straighten both of them out.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 27-07-2005 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
And here is the close up

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 27-07-2005 , 07:29 AM
Subscriber
yeah, the glass was bit thin. did you add thickness as part or the correction? That make big deference especially in the reflections and refrations.

bump looks okay up close, although I think the rusted areas should be recessed very slightly in the bump.

Nice work, looks like you did the tut proud.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 12 27-07-2005 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
The glass idea is a very interesting one...i'll try that and see what happens, didnt think of that.

# 13 01-08-2005 , 04:01 AM
Subscriber
I animated the plane. Here is one still...

Attached Thumbnails