Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-05-2007 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber

Freelancing help please

Hi all, I am a recent graduate from the UK and have been trying to break into the industry like most! A few fellow 3d animator/artist students have got jobs. I myself however have been trying to break into the industry freelancing and have had a few jobs. I was hoping to get some advice on to how much an animator/3d artist would usually charge because the jobs in the past have just been a set amount for a particular task. However I just wanted to get an idea of how much people charge, say per hour or project. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sunnee

# 2 12-05-2007 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
im not freelance or anything right now im still learning but my suggestion is start cheap, and then work your way up when your skills improve even more. and then if more people like how you work looks they will then refer you to their friends and then you can slowly increase. hope this helps a little.

good luck

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 3 12-05-2007 , 10:53 PM
Senior Software Developer
Someone posted a question about this last month, if I remeber rightly, and the answer was really, "It's up to you". Cost depends on factors like.

Size
Time
Skills

I would make a few fake calls to freelancers, in the area you wish to work, and see how much they charge. Also there are sites setup to support freelancers, with Contracts etc.. online for you to download and use free.

Have a good search in Google and see what comes up.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 14-05-2007 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber

# 5 15-05-2007 , 07:02 AM
Senior Software Developer
Rhetoric,

Great Thread, read it just now and it has some good pointers on how to get yourself in place and how best to tackle it. He has also provided some great links also.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 15-05-2007 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
cheers guys this is good stuff.user added image