Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-01-2008 , 01:22 PM

Lost at sea

Working on a new project, a guy lost out at sea on an innertube. I've got his hat done, almost got his leg and arm finished. Crits appreciated.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Now obviously I haven't done detail work because I haven't finished the actual torso yet. Still any crits would be greatly appreciated

Also, this is is a separrate project, but in learning to use the mental ray shaders, I created this candle and candlestick. Crits?

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 19-01-2008 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
dam good for a guy who doesnt know where to find his mental ray plugin

as for crits?? the render looks fine.., proportions of the hand are out, looks like a rubber glove.., the hat is perfect.., there seems very little sub surface scatter in the candle.., something mental ray has a built in shader for.., try fast skin.., you might be able to build up some translucence.., all looks good.., keep the size of the image down so we dont have to scroll across to see it

the leg.., well looks like something from a forensic experiment (Im joking) or an alien possession movie.., a disembodied leg ready to up and run away.., would probably fit well in Kurts mad scientist tut

another quick look at the hat reveals a texture distortion at the top of it

where does the candle fit on the inner tube?? a guy lost at see and still wearing a hat.., must be Humphrey Bogart!! is he in a suit too user added image

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 19-01-2008 at 03:56 PM.
# 3 20-01-2008 , 04:38 AM
looking good so far ^_^

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 20-01-2008 , 06:59 AM
Hey thanks. Yeah, the hat is giving me trouble, I keep having to fix it, I fear it may be corrupted. Yeah I know about the rubber glove, I always leave it like that until I get the rest of the guy done, how much body fat he has will change the thickness of his fingers, etc. The guy is more or less going to look like Hunter S Thompson, hence the freaking hideous hat. Amny who, since then I'm getting the torso squared away, and I fixed the nasty compound shoulder fracture he was sporting earlier, look at that distorted lump o meat user added image

As far as the candle goes, I used fast skin. It looks right to me, except I need to increase the radius of the back ss. I'm more concerned about the stick, getting metal to look like actual metal is a major PITA.

Sorry bout big images, i'm using a widescreen, didn't think about the 4:3ers, my bad. These are just 640x480's

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 5 20-01-2008 , 08:55 AM

Sorry bout big images, i'm using a widescreen, didn't think about the 4:3ers, my bad

Actually the pics you posted was in 4:3

# 6 20-01-2008 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
LOL, you did use the fast skin shader.., too smart for my own good!!

the candle looks fine..., i was being picky because most likely most people will say.., this is great.., fantastic.., ect.., good for ego.., not sure how much it helps modeling.

try a blinn (waxy orange colour)

eccentricity; .298

specular roll off; .364

specular colour; the S value a little more brighter saturation (S) than in the original colour channel (the orange) and push (overdrive) the value (V) (still in spec colour) to 1.5

map the incandescence with a ramp.., delete the green.., make the red black.., and the blue change to a very light orange, near white

looks like it glows from inside, good if you have a flame (which i just realized you dont).., anyway, if you play around with that ramp you will get some fun results.

easy and a fast render, maybe your lost at sea guy might have the candle lite..,

# 7 20-01-2008 , 01:43 PM
Hey thanks, good catch. tried that, it is interesting. Any idea how to get a flame with mental ray? Or how to allow mental ray to render segmented shadows? that's why it says it won't render anything with a fluid effect, at any rate.

Heh, you're right. The pictures are in 4:3. My screen is what isn't.

Oh and the candle has nothing to do with this project, I just didn't see any reason to make a whole new thread for something i did just to learn how to do it, you know?

Last edited by Agent_Dick; 20-01-2008 at 01:49 PM.
# 8 20-01-2008 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
if you have a wide screen best check your resolution.., usually 600p across works fine here.., or the preset in maya 640 by whatever it is..,

flame in mental ray?? id composite it from an image sequence anyway.., probably wouldnt use maya t all.., as for mental ray.., i know it can do some great stuff but i know very little..,

# 9 21-01-2008 , 10:34 AM
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

What do you guys think? It isn't finished, but it's getting there.

# 10 21-01-2008 , 10:36 AM
sorry for dp
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 11 21-01-2008 , 01:04 PM
can we see the low poly topology? I have a feeling somethings wrong at that level. You mesh doesn't seem to like the shape its in... if that makes sense.

# 12 21-01-2008 , 01:37 PM
sure, but could you explain a bit more? I could save you the trouble, it's mostly squares. I use the relax function of the sculpt tool for this stage of the model a lot more because I find the squares are easier to correctly map a normal map to, which is my eventual plan for this model. I've just ben using the smooth mesh preview on these. Here is the low poly

Attached Files
File Type: zip lowpoly.zip (217.3 KB, 215 views)
# 13 21-01-2008 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
ive noticed on my cartoon police car.., that once the smooth 'preview' is used mt topology is completely changed in some cases (after going back to normal mode).., not sure i like this new 'preview' i think it destroys work and should only be used on duplicates., it might be effecting your model too

Muser added image

# 14 21-01-2008 , 03:17 PM
It may be. I'm getting some really wierd artifacts and polygns keep ending up different. In the case of the lower leg that just made it better, in the case of the arm and pretty much everywhere but the lower leg, it made it worse. That's the last we'll be seeing of that. Oh well. Lets see, once I finish fixing the toro, hand, arm and pelvis, I've just got the head left and then we're on to fine detail. Then a normal map, then a specular map, the n fine detail bump, then hair, then clothes. Damn. Got a ways to go.

# 15 04-02-2008 , 03:18 AM
Sorry bout double post, but you know how it is.

Finally, I got the basc head done. Here is a smoothed out version. I started out with a tutorial I found in a peter ratner book, and then went from there to make it a functional head. What do you guys think?

Mug
user added image

user added image

3/4
user added image

I know it doesn't have a lot of detail, but a lot of that i'm going to do with bump and normal maps.

So, let me have it.