Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-06-2008 , 07:44 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

God im bad at rigging

when ever i paint weights for a joint other joints seem to change and i dont know why
the weights might not be saving i dont know
after painting do i need to press enter or sonething?

# 2 13-06-2008 , 08:40 PM
You need to use the toggle hold weights option once you get the area weighted properly. Also work from the hands to the shoulder then work on the head to the neck then the legs to the bum then finally the chest and abdomen.
I always find this process a nightmare and found the setup machine to be very usefuly as it does the weighting for you. You will still need to tweak the weights once it had done its thing but it is a massive help. Since using it I have been able to get a character done to a decent standard in around 2 hrs + it creates all the joints and curves so it saves a massive amount of time.

Hope this helps

# 3 13-06-2008 , 10:31 PM
Senior Software Developer
The Key to painting weights is always add. when u remove the weights from one area you must add it somewhere else...

Mikes Character Rigging Tutorial goes over this really well.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 14-06-2008 , 07:59 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
well i have an elephant (biped)
and when i move the trunk part of the body moves, how do i paint the weights to stop this (i cant find 'mikes tuttorial')
the only rigging one i found is by kurt

# 5 14-06-2008 , 08:28 AM
select the verts on the body that are moving and open the component editor under the window tab > general editors.
Find where they are weighted to the trunk joint and set them to 0.

# 6 14-06-2008 , 09:47 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I think ive got it now
thanks for all the help
user added image

but somehow i doubt this is the end of it.....

# 7 14-06-2008 , 10:17 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
i was right!

when you have copyed weights from one thing to another, and something on the second thing isnt quite right, how do you edit it?

# 8 14-06-2008 , 10:17 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
i was right!

when you have copyed weights from one thing to another, and something on the second thing isnt quite right, how do you edit it?