Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-08-2009 , 09:12 AM

Spline Cage *Need Advice*

Hey Guys

Well latley I have changed my style of modelling from nurbs and polly to the spline cage method. This is because basically I always had real trouble with modelling "Nurbs to Polly" when it came to creating correct topology. However with the Spline cage method you get the topology good right off the bat and modelling speeds up for me like 500% and I still get great results. I guess my question is, is this kind off modelling unprofesional or "for want of a better word" cheap?? It just seems to me no one ever does it ??

Your thoughts would be great!!

# 2 02-08-2009 , 01:59 PM
The Nurb Herd
i don't know enough about it.
is the final output polys?

I don't think anyone at my work uses this method... as far as i am aware anyway.

# 3 02-08-2009 , 02:26 PM
I think it is also referred to as nurbs curbs modelling, then you do whats called a nurbs patch modelling and yes final output is polly or sub D whatever you want.

# 4 02-08-2009 , 03:41 PM
The Nurb Herd
oh, i thought you said you didn't use nurbs to poly.

...do you have any examples of your work?

# 5 02-08-2009 , 07:21 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I do it sometimes when modeling cars... it's not "Cheap" or "unprofessional". I personally prefer other methods, but it's about the final result, not how you got there.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 02-08-2009 , 08:07 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Mayaniac
I do it sometimes when modeling cars...

ahh, i know what you mean now. I think its the best method for cars, but i wouldn't model a head that way... just my preference.