Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-01-2003 , 01:45 AM

My first 3d head... in Max

Hello!

This is my first thread here so I would first like to say hello to all of you! I'm an old Max user and being using it for about 4-5 years. Lately I've been involved in a project where everybody uses Maya so I will have to learn that too. I have actually wanted to learn Maya for a long time but getting into a new software of this kind is always hard and intimidating. But better late than never!

I think I will be hanging around here quite a bit as this seems to be the best Maya resourse place! Great community too!

So now I wanted to show you something I did a while ago but never shown to anybody... Actually never got finished (what is?). My intention is trying to expand on this type of work on Maya. Maybe do some Mental Ray stuff later on... But for now it's noob tutorials for me!

So what do you think?

# 2 26-01-2003 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
wow... awesome.

Kühl
# 3 26-01-2003 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
His eyebrows looks fantastic user added image
And I like the warm colors!

How did you make the eyebrows Basura3D???

Oh, and hi to you btw.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 26-01-2003 , 02:06 PM
Face looks great..... Only thing I'd work on is the hood, it looks flat.

Great suff

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 26-01-2003 , 10:42 PM
Thanks!

The eyebrows are actually in the texture, no fancy effects... And the hood is a simple mesh that I was playing around with cloth that never got finished...

What I'm really anxious about is starting doing stuff in Maya. It feels like when I was new to 3d and that's a great feeling... Old memories comming back!

# 6 26-01-2003 , 10:51 PM
Basura3d,

Nice model! The face looks really good.

And welcome to SM! There are actually a few of us here who used to use Max or currently still use Max in addition to Maya. If you need any help with the transition, just holler.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 7 28-01-2003 , 09:56 AM
Kevin
welcome Basura3d! Very nice artwork!

warm colours, nice shape. I feel the iris needs a slight change but im just nitpicking!

awesome work!

You want this image in the gallery?

# 8 28-01-2003 , 04:23 PM
I love it! It looks so realistic...

# 9 28-01-2003 , 09:01 PM
Thx guys! Good to get some help in the transition. I will need lots of help getting the Max out of me user added image although I will still use Max at work. It was really difficult just rotating and panning the viewport the first days!!! I did Max shortkeys in Maya and Maya shortkeys in Max... Think I'm getting the hang of it now...

About putting it in the gallery... I dunno... It is done in Max and the site is for Maya so it's actually up to you...

One quick question... Is there a way to show polys "single sided" as in Max? Instead of looking at the normals all the time. It's very important for me because my Maya work is going to be used in a realtime engine and it has to be one sided...

And btw, GREAT SITE!!!

# 10 29-01-2003 , 04:20 AM
Go to Custom Polygon Display Options. At the very bottom of the dialog box, you can set your backface culling options.

Good to see another game developer in here. user added image

Danny Ngan
# 11 30-01-2003 , 01:21 AM
Cool! Looked at your page. So what did happen to all you Dynamix guys? Never played Tribes but it has always apealed to me... Are you working on a new game company now?

# 12 30-01-2003 , 08:48 AM
After Dynamix closed, everyone either moved out of town or stayed here and started their own companies. I'm contributing work to 2 different game companies right now: BraveTree Productions (www.bravetree.com) and BellyFire Games (no content online at the moment). I'm a contractor for BraveTree doing a variety of 3d work, and I'm the art/technical director for BellyFire Games where I'm currently managing art production, setting up the character rigging and animation pipeline, and supervising a bunch of interns. And that's just what I do in my spare time. My regular job is teaching animation at the University of Oregon. user added image

Danny Ngan
# 13 30-01-2003 , 09:33 PM
Cool!

# 14 02-02-2003 , 06:51 AM
Eyes look a bit dilated... hehe it's awesome nonetheless!