Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-05-2010 , 11:01 PM

White environment gives bright objects

Hey!
When using white environment with objects (only uv and textures made using zbrush) and render out with just mental ray gives me very bright objects! user added image

It can be fixed with not using raytracing at all but I want to have it on and still have the objects looking the way the suppose to do...how can I achieve this ?

eyecubeart3d
# 2 15-05-2010 , 10:39 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
First of all put new shaders on the models. If you are bringing them straight from Zbrush the shaders are defaulted phongs (if I remember rightly) Use blinns for now. Chances are this is the problem.

Secondly it sounds like you have final gather turned on in Mental ray. this is what it does. its basically like rendering GI, infact its another form of GI whateverthe value of the background will essentially affect the scene. So you can turn it off and use mental rays standard renderer which is like mayas own. Just use lights instead

or You can turn the color in the environment tab in the Attribute editor for the scene to a more grey color then render it out. If its only a still then make sure you have an alpha channel then you can simply recomp it in Photoshop on a white back drop.

hope some of these help you.

Jay