Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-11-2010 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber

Steam Tank

Hi, folks...it's been a long time since I've posted anything, but having built a new computer I'm back! Anyway, here are a couple of pieces I've completed over the past several months...the first is a steam tank (or more accurately a land cruiser, as it is about 100' long)

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 18-11-2010 , 04:58 PM
SM Tea Boy
nice love the idea of a steam tank user added image

Looking good so far.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 18-11-2010 , 05:34 PM
The Nurb Herd
is the steam a 2d effect?
I'd suggest changing the camera and having a few different angles and lenses.
you could do some close ups if the texture is large enough.

# 4 18-11-2010 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
HammerHorror, Thanks!

David, yes the steam is VERY 2D (and sloppy quick, as I just wanted an effect). The whole thing is rigged (ie treads, guns, turrets), so at some point I will experiment with either emitters or fluid containers (I have emitters for smoke, just haven't had time to play with the settings for leaking steam).

As for camera, I do have a few other angles, but just recently figured out a few lens/lighting techniques which I will try. If you can suggest anything specific, I'm all ears...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 18-11-2010 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
Oh yes, the texture is 2096 X 2096. Is that big enough for a close-up, in your opinion?

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 6 18-11-2010 , 08:53 PM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by Lt Jim
Oh yes, the texture is 2096 X 2096. Is that big enough for a close-up, in your opinion?

Would depend on the level of detail in the texture, how close is the close up and the final image size your rendering out at.

Give it a go and see if it meets your requirements user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"