Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-05-2016 , 07:42 AM

Maya 2016 Delta Mush Deformer and Blendshapes issue

Hey Guys,

I've been looking at and trying to use the new Delta Mush deformer in maya 2016, which is supposedly great for skinning and more or less eliminates the need for corrective blendshapes. The laplacian smooth works like a charm.

However, my rig is one which is composed of both joints and blendshapes. When i trigger a blendshape with delta mush enabled, the blendshape loses its intensity because the delta mush smoothes over it, as it is above the skin cluster in the deformation order.

I need blendshapes to look exactly as i have made them in my rig, and with delta mush i'm not being able to use the blendshapes at all because they're all being smoothed over. I'm sure there is some solution to this, but i can't think of it. Its kind of urgent.

Help?

user added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 2 09-05-2016 , 05:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
What is your complete deformation order? Can you have skin cluster, then delta mush, then blendshapes? I feel like that's the wrong order, but might be worth trying.

You can also specify which verts will be affected by the delta mush, so if you have just facial blendshapes, for example, you could just grab the body for the delta mush. That's what I did on a recent project.

# 3 29-05-2016 , 03:18 AM
Solution is to apply delta Mush only to specific parts of your mesh, so it doesn't interfere with any blend shape areas.
Highlight all the vertices you want deltamush to be active and apply deltamush. Select your mesh, right click> paint > deltamush > ... to see the weight distribution showing where deltamush is active (white) and inactive (black).