Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-09-2004 , 08:16 AM

help!!!!!scaling cloth object

hello! am currently working on a character, that has cloth simulation in it..the problem is that, the character is too big for the scene.. and i mean big..i cant make the set any bigger anymore, my machine is having a hard time rendering the set alone...so my last resort (i guess) is to decrease the size of my character..but im having trouble with the collision,constraints....i mean it doesnt work like it used to,when it was in its original scale...

got tired of looking for tutorials online....so i hope posting my problem here, would help me finish the project. i know theres a lot of you here who are willing to help me..

thanks man... hope to hear from you soon guys...i mean really soon...hehe

CARPE DIEM!!!

here's a screen shot how big my character is...

email me at h@geebodigital.com

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-09-2004 , 08:52 AM
wireframe...pretty neat aight!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cornholio; 01-09-2004 at 09:00 AM.
# 3 01-09-2004 , 09:18 AM
this is the scaled model and cloth object...

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-09-2004 , 09:19 AM
this is the cloth simulation after i scaled all of them..
the cloth collision changed..and im having a hard time figuring what to tweak...

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 01-09-2004 , 12:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
'Fraid I'm not sure. My only guess would be to select anything having to do with the cloth object (curves, etc.) and grouping them and then scaling.

# 6 01-09-2004 , 08:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Looking at your grid size I wouldn't say it was that big.
I think it would be fair to say that you need some reasonable scale in order to do the calculations. Its the same with painting weights and sculpting too, I've found that too small a model is fiddly to weight stuff as the values are so small on the brush etc it becomes more difficult to paint as with particles too, default is always 1. Also with large landscapes you have to increase your displacement quite alot if you make hills etc.

When I started doing Maya coming from Lightwave we had to work out scale so we used 'ahem' a poser figure as a reference.
Worked it out that 1m(default) grid spaces in lightwave were the equivelent of about a cm in Maya!! So after a bit of working out we had to scale the character 200% in Maya in order for it to work as a world setting!! ie;10grid spaces were the same as 1m. Maya takes this into account so you may have to up your settings accordingly.

Anyway less of my crap, I have had a bit of a go at cloth and it seems ( excuse the pun) that its just slow the more intricate you go and the same ol story of you need more ram and processor power and patience!!. The best one I have used is the Syflex plugin which is really fast compared to Maya.
Are you using stitched panels or is it a poly object? As this may make a difference also!!

_J

# 7 01-09-2004 , 08:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Sorry back again, if you find its all too much with the cloth. Turn it into a soft body paint the weighting where you want it , but do your animation first so you can see the result after straight away, then you can add springs etc if you want to get more funky!!

I've used this method on hair styles before and it works a treat.

_J

# 8 01-09-2004 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
why not increase the size of your scene, or is that not possible?

Murph

# 9 01-09-2004 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
oops sorry, didn't read the initial message properly - sorry,

i take it it's layered?

# 10 01-09-2004 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
If you watch Kurts free cloth shirt tutorial he will tell you that its best to keep your characters slightly bigger tha your grid otherwise the cloth will act strange.... but I guess you alrady found that out from your own experiance.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 11 02-09-2004 , 12:30 AM
thanks guys...
i gonna try to redo the cloth thing...
maybe just maybe i would get the the result i wanted...
as soon as i got it i'll post it here..
shout outs to pony,dirack,murph,rubberchicken,jango and mtmckinley....

carpe diem!!!