Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-11-2007 , 04:29 AM
Subscriber

Texturing problems, please help

Hi everyone,

Recently I have been reading ‘The Game Artist’s Guide to Maya’ in order to refresh my skills in modelling characters. So far I have found the book to be a great help and I have leant a few extra skills along the way.
Anyway upon completing the UV texture map with the textures now applied to the character model I have come across a difficult problem which I cannot understand. For the head I have textured one half of the head and duplicated the other half, once this was done I combined the two half’s and merged the vertices.

Once this was done I wanted to take a look at the high quality render (Shading> high quality rendering), but as you can see from the pictures my characters face has a slight mismatch in the textures.
user added image

Please if Mr McKinley or anyone could help it would be most
appreciated.

Thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-11-2007 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
well. first check a true render. just in case.

secondly if your texture seem directly runs over the face i would reconsider that decision and maybe put it on the back of the head where nobody can see it...

thirdly i never approached it that way but whenever you lay out your UVs and edit them - what you did - it always messes them up. so check them again...

hope this helps.

# 3 19-11-2007 , 03:50 PM
19 year Veteran
You should have duplicated and sewn your head texture together in the UV editor, and you should have merged edges on the 2 halves on your physical head, not the verts.

Hope that helpes out.

# 4 19-11-2007 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
hey ... why the edges and not the verts???

# 5 19-11-2007 , 07:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Because you will have a visible seam on the model if you only merge verts, and it will still look like 2 seperate parts reguardless if it has been combined, and it's not a smart way to handle the issue. Fixing mesh problems is what merging verts are better suited for.

# 6 20-11-2007 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
First of all I would like to thank you guys for spending the time to reply to my thread and thanks for your helpful advice.
When creating a characters UV map for the head I believe that the best method is to have the seams running down the back of the head, it makes thing less confusing.

Like this guys UV map below.. https://www.harshcg.com/mai.html

Attached Images
# 7 20-11-2007 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
I was following Michael Mckinley’s book , I wanted to try and follow in his footsteps has an exercise, until I have came across the render problem.

Tonight I will try sowing the head together in the UV map editor and see if it will work.

I will keep you posted

Thanks guys

Below is Michael Mckinley work:

:bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 20-11-2007 , 10:36 AM
19 year Veteran
Your welcome Anthonytony, glad I could be of some help! user added image BTW, your a good texture artist!