Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-11-2007 , 12:31 PM

Newbie, Need some help with tutorials

Hi, my names Larry, and I've decided to start working with Maya. I've learned to use Photoshop, Flash and 3DS Max to a point where I consider myself near expert.

Unfortunately, Maya seems to be too hard for me to grasp altogether. I found a book I bought on Maya a few years back, to be more specific, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Maya-Complete-.../dp/0072227184

This book is great and all, but it's still really hard for me to understand, I tend to get caught on the most minute of problems, and then can't find that issue to fix it.

So I've decided to look online for help, and at the moment I'm mainly targeting Modeling tutorials. Sadly, most of the tutorials I find are geared toward people at an intermediate level, and can easily recognize any of Maya's functions.

So what I'm asking for is some easy Maya Modelling tutorials for a complete newbie to start out on. Preferably something interesting, so I don't lose the incentive to create something and ignore the program for another month or two. Any help is greatly appreciated!

# 2 19-11-2007 , 03:17 PM
19 year Veteran
Welcome to Simply maya Ayenima! user added image

If it's basically modeling your into, then you allready have the basic skills you need from working with Max. All you need is to learn the tools and work flow with Maya. Maya provides quite a few help files for the beginner to work with. If you allready have Maya installed, press F-1 to acess the help files.

Other areas to learn from are the free tutorials for beginners here in the free tutorials section. link

More advanced tutorials require you to buy points befor you can download. Here is a link to the page that explains the point system. link

The tutorials are well worth your time looking into, and I reccomend them for any beginner or experienced user.

# 3 19-11-2007 , 03:56 PM
is there any challenges for mattpainting in photoshop
or potrait user added image

# 4 19-11-2007 , 03:59 PM
19 year Veteran
None here that I'm aware of; however, CGtalk.com does has them.

# 5 19-11-2007 , 04:05 PM
but there shld such compitions here to encourage there work m i rightuser added image

# 6 19-11-2007 , 04:42 PM
19 year Veteran
It's not a matter of whats going on that encourages the people to organize such compitetions, but rather experience I think. Shure Simply Maya can set up the comps, but how many people have the experience here to enter, and make it worth while?

Simply Maya seems seems to benefit the beginner and intermediate better than it does the expert. I'm not saying that there are no experts here, there are a few that are quite active here, but when it comes to challenges, the participation level is very low. So experience is why I believe there are no other types of challenges here. For some others is just a matter of availability.

Of course this is just my own opinion.

# 7 20-11-2007 , 02:09 AM
Thanks for the quick response, I'm going to try out these tutorials and get back with any questions. I have a feeling that I'm going to get a lot more interested in Maya now that I've actually joined a forum.

I would buy the advanced tutorials, but I don't know if I'll be able to use them to help me this early on, so I'll wait some time before I consider it.

Again, thanks for the help!