Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-04-2005 , 08:36 AM
Subscriber

Movie Reference

Hi!

I have a short quiktime clip of a friend of mine doing a funny walk. I was thinking about using this clip as a reference for an animation.

I know how to set up a image reference (imageplane). But is it possible to set up a movie clip as a reference, so that you can get the same timing when you animate, as in the clip?

Hope you understand what I mean
user added image

# 2 09-04-2005 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
I have a way to do it.. Though haven't with quicktime yet. But its really ugly.. LOL so I will see if someone ansers with a smarter way to do it.

# 3 09-04-2005 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
The first thing that comes to mind would be set a card (primitive plane) and apply it as an animated texture. At each frame you would have to specify which frame of the move to display though.

[Edit] Hey it worked on my pc with an AVI assigned to the image plane. After my initial post I checked the help files for rotoscoping, which is what you're trying do basically. I couldn't use MOV, but thats probably due to being on a PC.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 10-04-2005 at 01:10 AM.
# 4 09-04-2005 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for helping me but so far I can only import mpeg clips, avi doesn't seem to work? Don't know what I'm doing wrong?

This is how I do it:

Create nurbsplane, then I open up the Hypershade and click movie under 2d textures and assign texture's material to selection. In the File Attributes I open up the image name (the Mpeg clip).

Then I check: Use Fram Extention. I select Frame extension 1 and then hold right mouse button to set key (I have the auto keyframe on in the timelider). Then I go to frame 30 in the time slider and in the Frame extension I print 30, that's my last frame. Then set key.

This works fine, but so far only on Mpegs...

# 5 09-04-2005 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
Lol, I'm sorry, avi does work it was a wmv clip I tried to open.