Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-11-2003 , 07:26 PM

Help! Rigid body resetting back to origin..alllways??

Hey user added image
I posted on another forum but everybody seems to be sleeping and since this site is the nicest looking site I figure this is where i'm going to get my answer:

I'm fairly new to maya 5.0,
when creating a _really_ simple polygon cube and moving it away from the origin (0,0,0) .... every time i try to make it either an active or passive rigid body it resets back to the origin (and since you can't change it once it's set...) ....this happens EVEN if i set x y z values for Initial Position. Please this is driving me crazy, what did I do wrong? I know it wasn't _always_ doing this.

Thanks so much,
- Lesia

# 2 25-11-2003 , 07:35 PM
maybe set a key at the position and then turn it into a rigid body? but I'm not sure that will work. IU just had a go and it didnt do it to me.... make sure that set initial position is off is all i can suggest.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 25-11-2003 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
I would sujest falowing one of the dynamic's walkthroughs that is in the help files with maya. If the help is anything like it is in 4.5 thin it has a lesson about rigged bodys.. probably in the instant maya stuff. If things don't work right buy falowing that thin it could be a bigger problem than some simple setting is off.. which is often a problem for me, giving the complexity of maya.

# 4 25-11-2003 , 08:22 PM
yeah the keyframing works, however i didnt want to have to do that because i'd like the project to be a competely keyframeless animation.but i'm sure one keyframe on frame 1 will be okay user added image

Regarding one setting being off, that's what i think it is. I must have done/clicked something and now it's always resetting....I know this because when I did go back and do the mayabasics tutorial on rigid bodies , it didnt work how it is supposed to (and how it did the first time I ran the tutorial a month ago...it reset half of the planks back to the origin!

So now I try figure out what setting it is that causes this.

Thanks for the replies so far !

- lesia