Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-10-2014 , 04:04 PM

Any Maya RB dynamic pros out there??

If I post my scene file, anybody willing to analyze my scene and give me a nudge in the right direction? Would really appreciate it !

# 2 10-10-2014 , 07:51 PM
The thin red line

If I post my scene file, anybody willing to analyze my scene and give me a nudge in the right direction? Would really appreciate it !

MoseleyShoals what do you think is wrong with your scene...............dave

# 3 13-10-2014 , 10:19 AM
Hello Dave, thanks for the reply.

It's more my limited thinking towards rigid body dynamics. I have a rigid body proxy leg strung together with hinge constraints that powers joints and then skin to dynamically animate a leg. These legs hang from a passive collider that rotates around a pivot. 1 leg works fine but maya can't seem to deal with the calculations required for a second leg. I have high damping values, low bounce, 0.001step/collision size no initial geometry penetrating but the sim goes incredibly slow usually resulting in glitching and legs flying all over the place/disappearing. I have decent enough system that should handle this. which leads me to the conclusion that this is not what the rigid body system is designed for. working in maya 2012. If you could offer me any advice, i would be really grateful

# 4 13-10-2014 , 06:13 PM
The thin red line
I would have a look for you but have a older version of maya, maybe David or Stwert will have a look if you upload it.............dave

# 5 13-10-2014 , 10:35 PM
try to set more substeps. simulation will be even more slow, but that should fix the flying vertices. i don't know which hardware you have. maybe you pc is just slow, and because of that the simulation is slow also. another reason could be the undeleted history on the object with dynamics applied.

# 6 24-10-2014 , 10:54 AM
Hello, thanks everyone for your suggestions. Mickhah, my system setup is pretty good and subdivisions were set quite high. I was using an expression to drive a passive collider around a pivot and then a chain of dynamic constraints and rb to dangle a leg. One leg worked fine but as soon as i had to start dealing with the collisions of its neighbouring leg, the system would slow/glitch/crash.(I experimented with collision tolerance/distance to no avail)
I ended up creating 2 compromises, a dynamic curve and then an ncloth setup (only difficulty being constraining one ncloth to another) results aren't as 'ragdoll' as i'd like.

# 7 24-10-2014 , 11:25 AM
The thin red line