Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-01-2008 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

How to create depressions in a model?

Hi guys,

in the physical model that i'm modelling there are parts where the model's faces and edges are depressed... let's see if i can make an ascii drawing

Code:
|                                      |
|                                      |
|___________________|
where the whole box is a face and the \_\ part is the depression.

how would one go about this? (hoping i made my question clear enough)

Last edited by Chirone; 01-01-2008 at 09:46 PM.
# 2 01-01-2008 , 09:57 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I'm not sure exactly what your trying to achieve, but could you not just extrude the side face, and scale it in, and then position it accordingly, then simply extrude the face in to create the impression?

Or you could add edge rings around the cube in the appropriate positions, and then extrude the small face, to create the impression.

I don't know if my answer makes anymore sense than your question...... Maybe you should post an image of what your trying to achieve. If you don't have an image of what your trying to model, maybe, you could create a better example of what your looking for. You could just use MS Paint (or similar) to rough out an example. If you don't have PhotoShop.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 02-01-2008 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
you're answer makes sense (except i can't find this add edge ring tool.... user added image ), except (correct me if i'm wrong) your solution sounds like it assumes the depression is the same shape as the face.

i will post some photos of what it is i'm after. i was about to do it now but i found my camera is flat.... so give me about 5 hours and i should be able to attach pictures

# 4 02-01-2008 , 01:08 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Sorry about that I named the tool incorrectly.

It's the Insert Edge Loop Tool. You can find it under Edit Polygons. In the Modeling Menu set.

So, yeah just post some pics when you can, and I'll take a look.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 02-01-2008 , 06:06 AM
Subscriber
ok, camera is finally charged, and i got a picture of the model

i've circled the indents that i want to make

# 6 02-01-2008 , 06:07 AM
Subscriber
woops, accedentally clicked preview and then submit without realising the attached had vanished... lets try this again

Attached Images
# 7 02-01-2008 , 06:09 AM
Subscriber
that picture doesn't have any of the depression on the edges, so i'll attempt to attach a second picture, its probably not so easy to see the indents because of the lighting and angle... but i've circled them, so you should understand what i want to do user added image

Attached Images
# 8 02-01-2008 , 08:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Like Mayaniac said you can select an individual face and extrude it in, if you want to change the shape of the extruded polygon switch to the move tool in the tool bar and double click on it to go to the options box and change the move option from world or local to Normal which will allow you to select vertices and move them along the normal of the face keeping it planar.
If you want to create a circular extrude you will need a minimum of six edges which means you need to extrude 4 faces together.The first extrude should not be pushing in the depression but should be preportionally, you can then move the verts into shape and finally perform the extrude inward first a little to give you a sharp edge and then repeat to the depth you need .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 13-01-2008 at 05:44 PM.
# 9 02-01-2008 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
hi jsprogg

i understand you're first paragraph, the second one i think i might understand...

i totally forgot about those extra options for the move tool

thanks for the help people :attn:

# 10 13-01-2008 , 06:27 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok I made a diagram to make the second paragraph a little clearer for you...

Attached Thumbnails

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 13-01-2008 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
thanks! really clears things up user added image