Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-02-2011 , 12:56 AM

animating simple bone rotation problem

Hi
Ive been trying to animate a fairly simple character with basic rigging done it a million times before...but for some reason when I play or scrub the timeline the bone rotations I have made go crazy... the bone seems to rotate on the other axis or I think sometimes going the long way round to get to a rotation point thats only a few degrees away.
Ive tried putting an IK handle on it even though i dont want one but the problem occurs with that the same.
I seem to remember something similar happening a few years a go and discovered changing to world from local sorted out the problem but I just cant get to the bottom of this...
anyone know whats happening here??

thanksuser added image

# 2 18-02-2011 , 03:04 AM
Lifetime Member
check the help file about gimbal lock and rotation order.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner