Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-10-2004 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber

2 questions-

The software I use mainly is Adobe stuff and Maya (did not use Maya for a while). I will start using Maya again hence this post.

I have 2 computers.

Computer 1 (desktop)- CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHZ)
Video Card- GeForceTi 4600 (128Mb)
RAM- Total 3 SLots- (1x256) (1x512) (1x512) = 1256Mb

Computer 2 (laptop) Dell Precision M60

CPU- Centrino 1.6GHZ
Video Card- Quadro FX Go 700 (128Mb)
RAM- Total 2 slots- (1x512Mb) 1 slot free
(HD-7200 rpm)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question1-

What can I do to both systems to upgrade a bit? Is it worth putting a new 256Mb video card in Computer 1?
I guess on the Dell laptop I can put anoter 1x1GB RAM stick. Anyway currently I am using the Desktop more than the Dell laptop.

I will be using Maya more so keeping that in mind I guess The laptop will be better to work on...right?
OR if I put a latest GeForce card on desktop 1 plus replace the 256Mb RAM in one of the slots with a 512Mb or 1GB stick then it might be better?

What route would you take? I am not rich but not poor either. What would be the most sensible bang for the money route that will be benefitial for Maya?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2-

I have both computers connected by a cross over cable. Can I use both computers for network rendering? How?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice will be helpfull. I was thinking of buying a new desktop but I want to delay for the mid term future. As I think I have descent-ish machines for now.

grrrr
# 2 31-10-2004 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
I wouldnt use the laptop for anything more than texturing and playing your games, then re-install your os with nothing but Maya and photoshop, then RAM is a huge help in load times so it would greatly improve the speed.... as for video cards... check and see if your mother board supports/ boasts pci fast slot, if it does go for a 256 video (not agp) pci fast slot, if your M-board dosnt support it, you might need to get one to, but try the ram stick FIRST, see how it performs, OR compare prices of ramstick VS. Motherboard + video card (get cheaper first user added image ) hope this helps

edit: for network render youl want to download: Muster

Pretzels and Beer
Pizza Pockets and Computer programers
Shortcuts and 3D artists

May we always be together.