Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-06-2012 , 07:48 PM
EduSciVis-er

Stwert's Sketch Space

Just got one or two more days of school projects and then I'm slightly more on "holidays". So I thought it would be fun to share my ZBrush and Photoshop (and Maya) explorations in a thread. The panzer tank is my main project for the summer, but this is where I'll have lots of small (day or two) "sketches". I've been considering getting into Z for quite a while, and have just recently started tackling it seriously.

First sketch is my version of a barnacle from Half-life, just an hour or so on this one. I think I'll take it further, maybe play with some texturing, but my main goal was to get familiar with a few of the different brushes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-06-2012 , 07:57 AM
Lifetime Member
Its certainly bizzare my boy LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 30-06-2012 , 01:39 AM
EduSciVis-er
Texture update (sorry, not texturing, bumps and things). Pretty fun playing with alphas and stuff. I thought it would be cool to have a barnacle texture for this alien, since it's called a barnacle, and then I thought it would be cool to also have little barnacle shells sitting on the shell, but I couldn't think of how to do the little barnacles, and then I made my own alpha in PS and it came out pretty well! Proud moment user added image I think they'd look better if I didn't smooth them out and had more resolution, but I feel like I'm making progress tackling this beast (Zbrush, that is).

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-06-2012 , 03:28 PM
Lifetime Member
I think it looks pretty cool, but the pieces on top currently look more like lesions than barnacles user added image

I've really wanted to give Zbrush a go after seeing everyone's projects and posts,
but really need to get a handle on Maya first

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 5 30-06-2012 , 03:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks, yeah, you're right. Lesions work too, all gross and gnarly. ZBrush I think has been more of a struggle to learn so far, perhaps it's not as big as Maya but it makes less sense.

# 6 30-06-2012 , 06:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good stwert. This is a good trip down memory lane. Spent many hours shooting these little critters to pieces. Wonder if episode 3 will ever see the the light of day.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 7 03-07-2012 , 04:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Bullsquid. Again from the half-life series (only the first one, I think?). I'll get onto some original content sooner or later, but I find it's easier to learn the tools if I have a really clear picture (i.e. in front of me) of what I'm trying to do.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 04-07-2012 , 04:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
Trying out the polypainting

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 05-09-2012 , 01:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Playing around with nCloth, IBL,and DOF briefly. Not the result I was necessarily hoping for, but it's alright. I know the nCloth is very subtle, and it ended up with lower res geometry than I wanted, but I learned some good info.

Attached Thumbnails