Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 76 05-11-2011 , 01:20 PM
disp shader? We are talking about amb occ and bump?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 77 05-11-2011 , 01:21 PM
and you dont have the disp network connected to anything anyway?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 78 05-11-2011 , 01:22 PM
I am guessing that you are plugging the amb occ node directly into the amb color which I tried initially so let me change that to show you I get the same results

# 79 05-11-2011 , 01:27 PM
The thin red line
The displacement node is working thats a flat plane I dont know why it does not show the connection...............dave

# 80 05-11-2011 , 01:29 PM
okay we are on different pages. You have occ + disp working? I don't see how you are attaching the displacement to anything? It is not connected to the lambert so how are you applying it to the surface? Also, zoom in close to the surface. You are doing what I did (assuming you connect the disp to the lambert) and when I did that I get disp but lot of jagged edges and really crapping geometry. (see here https://simplymaya.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=57)

Also, if you are doing displacement. I do not see the density of the mesh of the plane you are attaching the displacement on. So I don't know how dense it is. I followed that tutorial when I was studying displacement.

I see lots of disp tuts to make random terrain but not so much for making structured hard surface displacements. I will look at the tutorial again but as I recall the quality of the result was tied to the mesh density. Which is why I originally did not want to consider displacement. You get a double whammy! You have to make your base mesh dense and then the displacement comes along and makes it even denser.

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2011 at 01:35 PM.
# 81 05-11-2011 , 01:37 PM
yeah I got displacement to work as well but I get horrible geo and jaggies. See the post and you are doing exactly what I did. So I do not know why you are not getting the jaggies and I cannot see the mesh before or after the displacement so that might be the diffence (see above)

# 82 05-11-2011 , 01:42 PM
The thin red line
Check out the link I posted it will show you the setting and how to connect the displacement............dave

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 05-11-2011 at 01:44 PM.
# 83 05-11-2011 , 01:48 PM
Here is the result of creating a separate occ node and piping that straight into the amb color of the lambert with the bump.

As you can see I get the same result as piping the (occ+ss) into amb color of the lambert and I also attached a render with the (occ+ss) plugged into the aileron to show that I am not getting any AO when I try to plug the occ into amb color (you can see from the hinge holes).

I made sure the occ settings matched between the two occ nodes. Keep in mind the distance is at 1000 still so the all ao render is dark.

Attached Thumbnails

# 84 05-11-2011 , 01:54 PM
I will Dave but you are still getting some jaggies and the only reason that are not as bad as I was getting is your mesh is easily 4 times as dense as my aileron. I do not want to have to smooth to that level + add the overhead of the displacement mesh. That is why I did not want to do displacement in my original post but got flack for it.

I have read that tutorial a long time ago along with dozens of others and that is pretty much what I did for the version I posted originally. The only difference is the base mesh density. Reduce your plane to a 4 polys and bend it, then apply that displacement and do a smooth preview render see what you get.

You can see the displacement mesh by going to modify>convert>displacement to polygons

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.
# 85 05-11-2011 , 02:07 PM
The thin red line
As requested 4 polys bend in the middle and 3 button pressed............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 86 05-11-2011 , 02:11 PM
You don't see the jaggies and artifacts?

Also, I did forget about the approximation editor but I did adjust the displacement tesselation settings.. Also is your plane a poly plane or nurbs plane as per the example. We are not comparing apples to apples if you are using nurbs. Because in that example they start with a 25x25 plane then go in and change render tessellation 5x5 per spane or in other words turn the 5x5 plane into a 125x125 plane! So you end up with a super dense mesh (see below, see my original post that got flack).

I am going to redo my render with the approximation node. But I stand by what I originally said regarding mesh density affecting the displacement quality. The only thing adding an approximation node does is not mental ray automatically subdivides the mesh and then applies the displacement. So you end up with really high mesh density at render. Which was my argument against displacement in the first place!

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.
# 87 05-11-2011 , 02:18 PM
The thin red line
Rick you know I dont like nurbs.....LOL....polly plane, yes I do see the jaggies but I think that might me the texture.............dave

# 88 05-11-2011 , 02:29 PM
yep part of that is the anti aliasing in the texture and you really cannot avoid it because to turn it off then you really get jaggies. It's a limitation of discrete displays.

And so you are not increasing the render tessellation so therefore it is the approximation node that is increasing it automatically. In the end it is just as I said you have to generate a really dense mesh at render time. Which is to be expected but I want to avoid it as the bump in these areas is subtle enough that I do not believe they warrent the cost of the displacement.

thanks for taking the time and pointing me back to that article. It is the most comprehensive one I was able to find as well I added to me permanent displace tips folder

# 89 05-11-2011 , 02:35 PM
And this confirms what I am saying about mesh density.

The first is a render at my default base mesh density + displacement.

The second image is the base mesh + a displacement approximation node at high quality fine tessellation + displacement

The only reason image two is better then image one is at render time it is more highly tessellated and took 3 minutes (50%) longer to render. Which by the way, is pretty much what I said in my original post but was contradicted and that is why I stick to my guns unless I see proof. QED (quod erat demonstratum)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2011 at 02:45 PM.
# 90 05-11-2011 , 02:38 PM
And now we have come full circle and are right back where I said I was before all this displacement stuff came up. In both cases - using bump or using disp - I have a occ+ss network and a lamb with either a bump or displacement and then either occ or occ+ss plugged into the amb color and you see the results above! The colors do not match! I am not getting a uniform AO render.