Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-09-2011 , 01:06 PM
Subscriber

Organic Modeling/Topology Practice

Hey all,

Been almost half a year since i have touched any organic modeling, so i thought id jump into it again.

Here is a model i been working on for the past few days... Decided i wanted to try a different approach and tried out the box-modeling method, which i think is the way i am going to model all my heads from now on.

Still gotta block out the main features, and tweak a fair bit. Plus also fix the reference image as i thought i had them aligned, but guess not so proportion is a bit off. What do you guys think of the topology so far?

EDIT: Thread IMAGE

Attached Images

Last edited by marlonjohn; 02-12-2011 at 02:57 AM.
# 2 02-10-2011 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
After some tweaking, here is what i am at at the moment...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 02-10-2011 , 09:25 PM
The thin red line
The topoligy looks good could you show you ref shots to compair...........dave

# 4 03-10-2011 , 05:07 AM
Lifetime Member
side on it looks like Bear Gryhlls...LOL...not a bad effort mate...well done

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 03-10-2011 , 06:17 AM
Acid44
Model looks somewhat like Bear Grylls, better drink my own piss.

Looks a bit narrow/stretched out to me, but could just be that the person is thin headed user added image

Good other than that man

# 6 03-10-2011 , 07:48 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Are you using refs?

J

# 7 06-10-2011 , 04:29 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for the comments guys...

@ Dave - Will post it up for you user added image

@ Bullet - Now that you mentioned it, it does look like him!

@ Acid - Yeah, your right about it being a bit narrow... Think its due to what i did with the front references.

@ Jay - Yeah i am. Why, is it that bad... haha!

Here are the original references... The second front shot is the one i edited and am currently using. As you can see, the original front shot is slightly off angle, so i decided to mirror the right side. Which has kind of given me this narrower face and a slightly thicker nose?

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 06-10-2011 , 04:31 AM
Subscriber
Was fiddling around with the front topology of the jaw this morning and managed to produce something i like. Also tweaked a bit and made the lips slightly larger and the eyes sockets more centered.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 06-10-2011 , 04:55 AM
Lifetime Member
The ref wont help man....we arent symmetrical which is why mirroring it didnt work. TBH I dont think the camera is off angle...I just think they are the features as they really are?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 06-10-2011 , 06:00 AM
Acid44

# 11 06-10-2011 , 09:02 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah I thought it looked weird, because it looks too narrow without even seeing the references.

In all seriousness, I would build it from the front of the original, but use one side only to gain proportions, then once you are happy add the asymmetry to make it look like the guy in the photo. Nobody on this planet has a symmetrical face.

When I did my Audrey portrait, I did this same method. I did the one side and then tweaked after to make it look more like her as best possible. From a first glance she does look pretty symmetrical but on closer look she has one ear higher than the other a twisted nose and so on......things like this are worth studying otherwise people like me will be on your case LOL

cheers
Jay

# 12 06-10-2011 , 11:34 AM
Lifetime Member
Uuuummmmmmmmm Acid...I got it...I even went and saw him live on stage with my sons. Uuuummm as long as you dont start drinking fluid from elephant shit...then you are cool bro.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 13 14-10-2011 , 10:22 AM
Subscriber
@ Bullet - Yeah, you may be right... I think it must be his slightly bent nose that is playing tricks with me user added image

@ Acid - Hahaha, i got it the first time... I just forgot to mention it user added image

@ Jay - I think after spending some time on that head, i got used to it and never really noticed haha.

Ahh alright, i understand now and will certainly work by that method. Since starting organic modelling, i have always had this feeling that everything had to be symmetric... but when i come to think of it now, oh man im totally wrong! BTW, awesome work on that project. By far the best model i have seen you done yet...

Also just a question from me if you don't mind. When do you feel it is the appropriate time to bring something into zbrush? After seeing all these z projects looking so good, i want to step into it but fear its not the right time for me in general. user added image

# 14 14-10-2011 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
I needed a bit of a side project to mix things up, so starting modeling another head. I'm pretty happy with the basic shape so far. Comparing to the last head, i can tell this has a lot better facial proportions!

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 24-10-2011 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
Bit of an update... Im having fun with this one.

Attached Thumbnails