Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 07-05-2012 , 12:39 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 07-05-2012 , 12:56 PM
EduSciVis-er
Bullet, they're poly planes with texture applied. Rather high res images ~3-4k px. I opened your scene, thanks, but you didn't send the jpgs?

Dave, thanks, I had forgotten about that. Unfortunately it would make things easier to do the opposite and just keep the refs as shaded and textured regardless of 4-5-6 mode, but it doesn't seem to stay? I will work with that though.

# 18 07-05-2012 , 09:20 PM
The thin red line
Sorry Rick I could not help myself, Stwert I can only help you so much do you expect me to texture it as well, updatesuser added image...............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 07-05-2012 , 09:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
Good grief, people are gonna start thinking this is my progress. Well technically it is better than my progress.

# 20 07-05-2012 , 11:22 PM
lmao! Throw some rivets on that puppy and a coat a paint and call her done!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 21 07-05-2012 , 11:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
two pages in and no tank...

can we see some prog please or I'll just close the thread...its like a spam in progress

sorry to be a killjoy

Jay

# 22 07-05-2012 , 11:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
Can't tell if you're joking or not. Dave's the one spamming my thread with his poly primitives user added image
I did mention from the get go that I wouldn't be blazing through this since I'm currently doing a MSc.
Anyway, I was trying to solve the blurry blueprint problem, but I did get a bit done. Let me know how frequently I have to post for this still to be called a WIP thread.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 08-05-2012 , 01:24 AM
EduSciVis-er
Argh, had to redo the image planes, they weren't working out. And I'm working on a fresh install of Maya 2013, so lots of new issues to work out. And I haven't really had a chance to do much maya since last year, so I keep using all the C4D hotkeys.

So I seem to be going backwards instead of forwards, but I really want to get the start right, otherwise I'll be kicking myself later. Sorry Jay, but leave this thread open, it will happen soon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 08-05-2012 , 02:03 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL Im sorry mate...it was after a few ales and i was working at the same time LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 25 08-05-2012 , 05:32 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
No I wasnt joking LOL, but nice start on it stwert.

Jay

# 26 10-05-2012 , 11:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Okay, had a quantum of time today. Here's starting to block some stuff out. Marginally better than dave's effort in this thread. user added image

It takes some time with these complex blueprints to work out the main lines. I also am used to C4D's frame command, which is 's' so I keep setting keyframes on stuff :S

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 11-05-2012 , 05:55 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL its 'F' isnt it? at least there is some progress mate and it looks good. That big triangle on the turret may give you grief later...dave?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 28 11-05-2012 , 08:15 AM
The thin red line
Good start Stwert
I would play around with the image settings that bright white and black does not work for me, not sure if you are going to smooth (I think you can get away with not smoothing and bevels) the turret but I would just split the tri in half and put a vert in the middle. Only slightly better than mineuser added image..............dave

Last edited by daverave; 11-05-2012 at 08:27 AM.
# 29 11-05-2012 , 10:04 AM
I would recommend blocking out the initial shape and then try to fix the easy triangles and ngons.

Then decide if you are going to bevel, smooth, or both. In many cases tri's and ngons can be cleaned up in the process of adding support edges or the bevels.

Before beveling I would suggest making a copy as it is almost impossible to unbevel. I keep a hidden work group and put copies of my pre-beveled parts so if I have to make changes I don't have to remodel things.

For chamfer's and tight edges 1 or 2-segment bevels work fine. You can get by with simply using a 2-segment bevel and offset when smoothing to control the tension but there is a point where you will get artifacts if you try to go too tight or too soft without clamping edges.

For more control of the edge tension 3 or more segments work best, especially if the part is not to be smoothed. Use segments and offset to get the best tension. I shoot for something that will work in most cases unsmoothed to save on poly count but I always have the option of putting a smooth on for extreme close shots.

Sometimes one part just cannot do it all and you may have to build dedicated parts that can be used for extreme close ups and far shots.

Regarding the triangles. Some stress to much over them. Take the turret shape in the screen shots below.

You see the basic blocked out shape ready for beveling and smoothing. I easily fixed one of the two triangles at the corner but left one because although splitting any of the three edges would make it a quad it just makes no difference in the end!

So this is a perfect example of fixing triangles where it makes sense!

That triangle will not affect render, lighting, texturing or anything and you can't change the poly flow or shape because a "triangle" is what goes there!

I created a few beveled and both beveled a smoothed versions and as you can see all of them have that triangle and all of them would work just fine.

In all four cases I did not stress over the main triangle at the corner. As you can see I could easily fix it with an edge loop into any of the three sides, but since you cannot change the shape of the triangle itself, I mean you cannot replace the shape, or do anything to change the edge flow because a triangular shape is what belongs there!

Inserting a single edge does make it a quad but does little to change either the smoothed or unsmoothed topology and would have absolutely no affect on the render or texturing. So it's pointless.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
# 30 11-05-2012 , 02:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks guys. I was thinking about the corner triangle, and because it is a triangular shape, I figured it made sense to use a triangle. Not going to deform. I appreciate your images Rick, very helpful. I'll fix the side triangles, but leave the corner one for now. I was thinking not to smooth it, so I'll build it with bevels at the end as you suggested, and if I need to smooth parts, I can do that. Thanks again!