Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-10-2014 , 05:34 PM

Blend Shapes and Skeleton Rigs

Hi,

I've got a question that I'm hoping there's a simple answer to.

Lets say for the sake of argument that I'm building a Dilophosaurus model with the neck frill like in Jurassic Park (and I am).

Ideally what I would like to do once it's finished is to have the neck frill activated by a simple blend shape, but have the rest of the model still bound to and following the skeleton.

Is this possible? The reason I want to use a blend shape is to I can have the neck frill almost seamlessly attached to the animals neck when It's not in use.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 23-10-2014 , 05:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes it is possible. I can't remember the exact sequence of steps, but I do know that the deformation order (order of inputs) is important. Fortunately you can change the order after the fact, but it's something keep in mind. There should be lots of how-to's on setting up blend shapes out there.

# 3 23-10-2014 , 05:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply.

I will look into it.