Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-08-2003 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber

First crack at a wheel

Hello all. I've posted my first attempt at a automobile wheel done entirely in NURBS. I had no reference to go by so I just eye-balled it.

I would love comments on this first draft. I would love to texture tread groves into the tire, but I need some help with that part.

Let me know how I'm doing please.

Attached Thumbnails

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 2 09-08-2003 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
Hey sjurick,

That is a good wheel but i think that the rims (that's what they are called i hope) need to be thicker or maybe just add a few more of them. It might be a bit too wide but that depends what you made this wheel for.

All in all a good job on the wheel.

alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 3 10-08-2003 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the C&C. I've deleted the tire (will concentrate on that part when I've completed the rim), and made the spokes a bit beefier for ya, and made it a bit more narrow (now it should be 60 sized instead of 50 or 40 like before - I'm not looking to outfit a dragster with these). I agree, the first attempt looked a bit frail (I wouldn't trust those holding MY car up).

Anyways, I'm going for the old Cragar 5-spoke Mag look like I had on my old 66 Mustang (now if I could just model THAT!)

See what you think of this version.

Attached Thumbnails

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"

Last edited by sjurick; 10-08-2003 at 06:34 PM.
# 4 10-08-2003 , 12:48 AM
i suguest redo the bolts in polygon, and then bevel them. The ones u made just don't look right. What shader did you user for the wheel?

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 5 10-08-2003 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
Shader is chrome that I found a while back on Highend3D. Comes in a 6-pack as MEL scripts.

Here is the new version with requested poly lug nuts! I now need to do a couple things. First is to indent the area where the lugs go, and secondly I wish to use Fillet where the spokes touch both the hub and the rim.

Thoughts so far before I continue?

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 10-08-2003 , 05:40 AM
Subscriber
hey sjurick,

the second version is a huge improvement i think. the spokes look much better now.

good work.

alex

# 7 10-08-2003 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber

Fillet

Thanks Alex. I like the way it's turning out. Do you know how I can get my spoke ends to fillet to the rim and hub? I know the general idea behind filleting, but can't seem to get it to work. I highlight the Isoparm on the end of the spoke but cannot figure out how to fillet it to the rim which is a surface. Or should I try to stitch the two together somehow and then get a fillet to work? Any ideas?

Steve

# 8 10-08-2003 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
New shot of wheel

Changes are:

Added lug wrench indentions and inset lugs for realism
Squared hub cap a bit to make it flatter.

Still looking for anyone to help me try to get the spokes to have a "welded" look where it intersects the rim and hub. I believe this should be attained by FILLET, but I cannot get it to work.

Suggestions?

Thx,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 10-08-2003 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
What I would do is select the rim first and then shift select the pokes then fillet it. (i'm not really sure which fillet you would need to use round or freeform). That's how i filleted my wheel.

The model looks great. You should model a car to fit this wheel...lol.

alex

# 10 11-08-2003 , 01:17 AM
Cool man.........Im gonna go find that shader.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 11 11-08-2003 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the compliments so far...I'm trying.

I cannot get my fillet to work on either end of the spokes, not matter which fillet method I use. Seems like this should be fairly simple but maybe it's the way I modeled?

Here are the two ends I'm trying to fillet to the spokes so you can see a better representation of what I'm dealing with. Any help is appreciated as always!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by sjurick; 12-08-2003 at 02:31 PM.
# 12 13-08-2003 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
For those of you that are interested, I will continue to post to this thread if not to help someone else out, but for my own edification.

After many hours of wrestling with the Fillet commands, I finally got it to work the way I need it too. Also figured out the Round command which worked nicely on the lug nut holes.

I feel like the wheel is for the most part complete so now I will work on getting a realistic tire put on it.

C&C thus far?

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 13-08-2003 , 03:27 PM
Simply Maya OG
Ooooo....Chromey user added image

- Hybrid
# 14 17-08-2003 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber

Tire tread?

Can anyone tell me how to get realistic tire tread on my tire? I've tried duplicating Thomas Suurland's example and am having issues making my pattern wrap around the tire profile without looking like the tire is badly out of alignment (scalloped edges).

Take a look and see if you can see what I'm doing wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 18-08-2003 , 08:09 PM
wouldnt it be easier with a texture map? if you use a displacement map of a tire tread it will be much easier than trying to do it with geometry I think

The rim looks great though well done!

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB