Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-09-2004 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber

Importing 3DS files to Maya

I have modeled my loft in SketchUp (go see it, its an awesome software) and I can only export it into a 3DS file format.

No problem I thought... I downloaded the 3DSexport plugin from alias so I could read the file but it doesnt work...

I am running Maya 5 on Mac OSX 10.3. When I try to load the plugin, it gives me this message:

// Error: -2814 //

I looked at the Alias website and doc and I cant find any description of all the error code (which is very stupid IMHO).

So I need you help, either to tell me what I did wrong or to convert the file for me if you managed to make it work on your computer!

Thanks!

# 2 11-09-2004 , 03:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
The 3DSexport plug-in does exactly that... it EXPORTS a 3DS file. It won't import them.

I tend to use a program called Deep Exploration. I believe it has a trial version that can be used for free for noncommercial uses. It will let you convert a 3ds file into an obj file that Maya can open.

https://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/

# 3 11-09-2004 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Hehe, I checked the 3dSExport, it also import files, at least, according to the Alias site. And my problem wasnt related to the importing action but just loading the plugin...

I will look for that Deep Exploration thing, thanks!

EDIT: its only for PC... Arg!

# 4 21-09-2004 , 01:29 AM
I'm attaching a 3ds import installer for Maya 4.5 on Mac OS X. I don't know if it will work on Maya 5. It's a package format, that installs the file directly where it needs to go.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 3ds_45_mac.dmg.zip (96.7 KB, 277 views)
# 5 25-09-2004 , 09:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys
I was using a 3ds importer plugin a while ago and its very useful, I was using the one that was in BonusTools 5 that you can download from Alias in any Platform. But if you want the Deep Exploration viewer go to RightHemisphere.com

_J