Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-09-2004 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber

Importing 3DS files to Maya

I have modeled my loft in SketchUp (go see it, its an awesome software) and I can only export it into a 3DS file format.

No problem I thought... I downloaded the 3DSexport plugin from alias so I could read the file but it doesnt work...

I am running Maya 5 on Mac OSX 10.3. When I try to load the plugin, it gives me this message:

// Error: -2814 //

I looked at the Alias website and doc and I cant find any description of all the error code (which is very stupid IMHO).

So I need you help, either to tell me what I did wrong or to convert the file for me if you managed to make it work on your computer!

Thanks!

# 2 11-09-2004 , 03:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
The 3DSexport plug-in does exactly that... it EXPORTS a 3DS file. It won't import them.

I tend to use a program called Deep Exploration. I believe it has a trial version that can be used for free for noncommercial uses. It will let you convert a 3ds file into an obj file that Maya can open.

https://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/

# 3 11-09-2004 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Hehe, I checked the 3dSExport, it also import files, at least, according to the Alias site. And my problem wasnt related to the importing action but just loading the plugin...

I will look for that Deep Exploration thing, thanks!

EDIT: its only for PC... Arg!

# 4 21-09-2004 , 01:29 AM
I'm attaching a 3ds import installer for Maya 4.5 on Mac OS X. I don't know if it will work on Maya 5. It's a package format, that installs the file directly where it needs to go.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 3ds_45_mac.dmg.zip (96.7 KB, 283 views)
# 5 25-09-2004 , 09:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys
I was using a 3ds importer plugin a while ago and its very useful, I was using the one that was in BonusTools 5 that you can download from Alias in any Platform. But if you want the Deep Exploration viewer go to RightHemisphere.com

_J