Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-02-2007 , 06:33 PM

Gallery Submission "Dambuster"

Hi Guys,

Here's a few renders of my Dambuster model for you look at...hope ya like it!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-02-2007 , 06:45 PM
it's too bad you can't get into the gallery... it hasn't worked for years.

but nice model/texturing. the lighting could use a little work though... it's a little flat. (and for some reason the tires look like they're possibly made of cement or metal.)

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 06-02-2007 , 06:51 PM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with Neo. Nice Work. Also the lighting is way out (sorry). It looks like the tyre are the wrong shade of grey (dark charcole gray works best imho), either that or the lighting has overexposed it and is causeing overburn.

Apart from that nice work m8.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 06-02-2007 , 06:53 PM
Looks good mate, Think you should have a play with the lighting, maybe make an outdoor environmant for it, that would really show it off.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 06-02-2007 , 08:34 PM
Thanks guys and ya right the tyres are pony!
These were early renders to examine my textures, just finished dropping the model into my background scene, it looks better I hope you agree!

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 26-02-2007 , 12:28 PM
The model looks good but the clouds seem flat. Maybe you should throw a bump map onto your sky texture to make them stand out more.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 7 26-02-2007 , 12:33 PM
Thanks Echo Red,
Thats a good suggestion. I will!

# 8 28-02-2007 , 06:14 AM

Originally posted by echo red
The model looks good but the clouds seem flat. Maybe you should throw a bump map onto your sky texture to make them stand out more.

Ooooo, be careful with that... you might end up with too much bump.

Expect to excell...
# 9 28-02-2007 , 06:47 AM
You can decrease the size of bumps in the bump map's options.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 10 28-02-2007 , 07:10 AM

Originally posted by echo red
You can decrease the size of bumps in the bump map's options.

Yes, I know, but it is sometimes hard to get the effect you want from a simple bump map. It can give too cheezy of a look.

Expect to excell...
# 11 28-02-2007 , 07:14 AM
Maybe you can go into photoshop and do some editing there?

# 12 28-02-2007 , 05:42 PM
Well I may get round to putting a bump on the clouds but the image is to showcase my aircraft model, I'm not too concerned about the environment. So I'm pleased to hear few negative comments about the model!
I think, if was going to take the background further, I would try a bump first before using Maya's cloud effects. Thanks for your comments guys.

# 13 28-02-2007 , 07:40 PM
Oh, well the model looks great. No negtive comments there.user added image

# 14 01-03-2007 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
Neo - "(and for some reason the tires look like they're possibly made of cement or metal.)"

haha yeah the first render of the wheels looked like they were concreate but they are looking great now and especially the enviroment, gives the plane abit more of a feel now user added image

great job, keep it up

# 15 14-03-2007 , 07:44 PM
Subscriber
good model

i have also made a lancaster, and other ww2 planes, nice to see like minded people about, i still have about a weeks worth of texturing to do on mine though, but i am certainly inspired by your results. keep it up.