Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-12-2010 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber

Enterprise - Deflector looks like CHEESE

So, I've been working on this Ent model for awhile--call it a mild (insane) obsession =) I'd like to get it to photo-real soon by making some crazy textures (32k) and modeling a few interior rooms for the windows, but in the meantime, this deflector dish is killing me. It looks fake. Is there any advice how I can still make it look like glass/glowing without that 'CGI' look?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-12-2010 , 09:47 PM
The thin red line
May be create a neon light sorce inside a glass model then change the glass settings?...dave

# 3 09-12-2010 , 10:24 PM
i don't have any suggestion to make it look more real, but I do want say it looks great and look forward to seeing it when your finished.

# 4 10-12-2010 , 10:36 AM
The Nurb Herd
are you just rendering that glow effect in maya? if so, why not try a post effect. or try doing the glow with a different material.

# 5 10-12-2010 , 08:37 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
ahaa!!

My crit would be to redo the panel lines by making them thinner by at least half, this will really add scale to the entire ship and also adjust the bump depth, as its very deep right now too.

I was actually watching the new movie over lunch this week and it was one of the first things I noticed - its all in the subtleties of the spec and the bump. Have a look. Theres some really beautiful shots of the Enterprise and the Kelvin too. All the models are cg too, they arent actually miniatures. For those of you who have access to blu ray, I suggest getting the movie as it has some nice turntables and interactive cameras that show you around the outside of the enterprise and the romulan mining ship.

cheers
Jay

# 6 06-01-2011 , 02:06 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Tweak the light some especially the shadows they are to sharp and make the model look fake, I would turn down the yellow color of the light down somewhat as well ( unless there is a sun chasing him user added image )

I also believe that if there is no sun ( direct light source) or planet ( indirect lightsource) in view then the viewer subconsiously recognizes the light you used as fake and there for make the image look unrealistic.

Looks ike a great start though

# 7 06-01-2011 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried a lens shader attached to the camera?