Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-08-2013 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber

Rendering overlapping geometry

Hello
How does one go about removing the flickering in a moving camera render associated with geometry that overlaps.

I have been supplied with a series of autocad buildings that have been modeled in not the most render friendly way. Each time i render, all the procedurally overlapping geometry is causing hell in the renders. Is there anything that can be done other than rework the geometry which is a huge ask...

thanks in advance

# 2 30-08-2013 , 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Can you show us what you mean? I'm having a hard time visualizing that.

- Genny
# 3 30-08-2013 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
yeah sure, i've tried attaching an animated gif showing 5 frames of the problem.
Thanks

Attached Images
# 4 30-08-2013 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber
on the roof there is one piece of geometry, a plane that covers the roof and then there are multiple beams intersecting. the black line that appears represents an edge of this geometry. the flickering at the bottom is not aliasing but a result of individual cubes intersecting with a plane. any thoughts?

# 5 30-08-2013 , 06:15 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 6 30-08-2013 , 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Ohh. Yikes! Well you can thicken the roof plane I suppose. I don't know how much help combining the intersecting parts and running a mesh cleanup would be in this instance but you could try anyway.

Stew I think the z-fighting issue is more of a real time problem than a software render one.

- Genny
# 7 01-09-2013 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys, yeah the original mesh is a state, Il just have to try offsetting the geometry so it doesn't sit as close to its surrounding geometry, and maybe add some depth to the various planes. I think the original models were done in max as 'editable meshes' (not polys) and so the objs we exported to maya have struggled to create pleasing edges/poly data (working with maya 2012)

it's all fun and games
thanks