Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-09-2004 , 11:35 PM

Transferring UVs

I don't know if this is basic or not but here's what I'm trying to do:

I have 2 copies of the same polygon model. One of them has good UV mapping that I used to make maps in Photoshop. The other copy has default UVs. I want to copy the UVs from the first copy to the second. I'm running Maya 5. The books I have say that I can select the first copy then select the second copy then simply use the transfer command to transfer the UVs. I can not find any reference to a "transfer" command. Does anyone know how to transfer UVs from one poly model to another (assuming they have the same topology). Thanks!

By the way, the object that has the default UVs has been rigged to a complete model and is part of a character set. This might complicate things.

# 2 09-09-2004 , 11:57 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 10-09-2004 , 02:02 AM
Thank you Peltra

# 4 10-09-2004 , 04:27 PM
Actually, that tutorial didn't help but I found the answer I was looking for somewhere else. Here is the command to transfer UVs from the 1st selected poly model to the second selected poly model (remember, both models have to have the same topology):

type in: performPolyTransfer 0;

# 5 10-09-2004 , 05:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
Polygons > Transfer

Make sure UVs are set in the options.

Not sure what tutorial Peltra was referring to?

# 6 11-09-2004 , 01:56 AM
polygons> transfer

Oh man! I must have looked at that dropdown menu a dozen times and didn't see it.... Well, I guess it's time to get a pair of glasses.

Thanks!