Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-05-2003 , 04:08 PM

What is GI Joe ???

Hi?
What is GI Joe? Is it a renderer? Is it freeware? Where can I find it? Where can I find informations about it? A lot of questions, but I know that you have the answersuser added image.

CU morpher
# 2 12-05-2003 , 04:10 PM

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 12-05-2003 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
GI joe is the real american hero! www.gijoe.com **Just kidding**

Check out the link Brian has left!

# 4 13-05-2003 , 12:29 AM
Is GIJoe avail. for OS X? I couldn't find anything on their amazingly difficult to navigate website. =\

---
https://www.bigfatonline.com
# 5 13-05-2003 , 01:21 AM
GI_Joe simulates Global Illumination. If you don't know what that is, do some searching around the lighting/rendering forum. You'll also find more info on GI_joe there.

The script was developed for PC and to be honest, I don't know how Maya's directories are set up on Mac so I couldn't tell you what you'd have to do to convert it. I suppose conversion is possible, though. (In the script itself, you have to edit the script to reflect your maya directories).

Just curious: If you don't even know what it is, why are you so eager to get it? It's not like it's a cure-all that will make your scenes beautifully lit or anything. It has it's place of course, but a tendency of people new to maya, especially on the forums, is that they see a more advanced user using it, then think "If I use it, my scenes will just as good." That's not really the case. Take the time and learn the art of basic 3-point lighting first and build from there.

Just my .02

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 13-05-2003 at 01:25 AM.
# 6 13-05-2003 , 09:47 AM
Thx for the answers. I did know that the GI in GI Joe does stand for global illumination and I know what is is for. My problem was that I couldn't find a link with googleuser added image. I haven't been sure if it is free or not, but brian's link gave me all the answers to my questions. THX again.

CU morpher
# 7 13-05-2003 , 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Bigfat
Is GIJoe avail. for OS X? I couldn't find anything on their amazingly difficult to navigate website. =\

Since GI_Joe is simply a mel script, it works fine with OS X. Here is a thread related to this:

https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...&threadid=5484

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 13-05-2003 , 11:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NitroLiq
[B]Take the time and learn the art of basic 3-point lighting first and build from there.

NitroLiq:
Can I ask you what consists this 3-point lighting method you consider basic? Sorry if it sound silly - of course it's meant to use 3 lights - but as I never heard about it, I wish to know more about this lighting concept that you say it's basic.

Very grateful, indeed.

Mário.

:bgreen:
# 9 14-05-2003 , 12:47 AM
No Probz, if u don't know that.... i could explain it briefly though...

the main concept is that you use 3 main Lights to lit your scene properly...
one is a light comin from an angle , from front , focusing on your key product... that is Called Key Light... u use higher intensity low cone angle that it only covers the Main product/Character....

Second is called Fill Light.... it omits from another angle perhaps and covers larger area to fill the whole/ max environment but u keep less intensity

the Third One is called Kicker... u usually put it behind the Main character... to remove the dark outline which will be at the back of the character....

Hope that helps.....

P.S:: in 3d softwares light does not shatter and reach every part of that scene ...as in reality.... for that purpose what i do is create lots of lights with very low intensity to give the feell that the light is reachin and i don' t have any other source of light emition....

# 10 14-05-2003 , 01:02 AM
Learning everywhere, everytime...

Thanks again.

Mário.

:bgreen: