Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-12-2011 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber

oh snap, quick help please?

Hey folks,

Running out of time, need a quick answer. hopefully u can. if not i wont be mad.

I am using mental ray lighting <indirect lighting>

How do I break a light link from a object of that light?

I have a particle emitter and of course it doesn't like it and renders out very dark.

NO time to composite layers. Can't I just break a light link to it some how???

Thanks!

# 2 08-12-2011 , 07:19 AM
Lifetime Member

Object Centric light linking

Hello, Ataraxy.

I'm bit of a noob myself, but I think if you went under Window> Relationship Editors> Light Linking> Object Centric, you can adjust which lights affect which object.

The objects in your scene should be on the left. When you click on what you want to adjust, the lights affecting that object appear highlighted on the right. Click the light you want to turn off, and that light shouldn't affect your object any more. (Inversely, click on a non-highlighted light to make it affect your object.)

Light Centric linking has the lights on the left side and which items they impact on the right, and works the same way.

Ive used this to turn off lights affecting one thing or another in a scene, and it worked for me. I am using Maya 2011.

Hope this helps!

# 3 08-12-2011 , 07:23 AM
Subscriber
Tried that, it's disconnected that way. Great Idea though! Have anymore? user added image

I forgot to add, it's a fluid connected to a particle. user added image

# 4 08-12-2011 , 10:17 AM
Lifetime Member

No other ideas.

Tried that, it's disconnected that way. Great Idea though! Have anymore? user added image

I forgot to add, it's a fluid connected to a particle. user added image

Hello. Well, like I said, I'm still a bit of a noob, so unfortunately, I cant think of anything.

I'm curious, though. Are you having issues where for a flash (an image or two in a batch render) some bits of the dynamics are black? I had that issue a while ago, with particles, too. Not fluids, though. I read somewhere it has something to do with the shader, but I never did figure it out.

# 5 08-12-2011 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber
nah sir,

It's sort of a missile trail.. but with fluids attached to the particles.. and a lot of other junk.. Hard to explain, am tired lol

Frankly, it kicked my arse and I am rendering layers with alphas user added image

was planning on sleeping before 5pm tomorrow.. but.. guess not user added image

thanks for your input though, i'll upload it when i'm done

# 6 08-12-2011 , 11:37 AM
Noober than noob

Hey folks,

Running out of time, need a quick answer. hopefully u can. if not i wont be mad.

I am using mental ray lighting <indirect lighting>

How do I break a light link from a object of that light?

I have a particle emitter and of course it doesn't like it and renders out very dark.

NO time to composite layers. Can't I just break a light link to it some how???

Thanks!

If you do not want to see the shadow of an object, you can try:
Going to Material Attributes of the object that emits the shadow > Raytrace Options > Shadow attenuation and reduce it to zero.
Worked for me, but not sure what texture you are using. Mine was a Lambert.